1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dog TGS06 Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im interested in the new tgs06 tailgate spreader and wondering if anyone here has any experience with this or other buyers tailgate spreaders.?

2. all seasons

all seasons Member

I had this spreader and sold it, if your working with salt it works fine but cannot handle salt sand or damp or even wet product
  3. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Is this spreader really that bad??

I was hoping the sheer simplicity of this spreader would make it more durable and reliable. Especially with less steel constructed parts. Why didnt they choose stainless for the spinner guard?

Anyone know what the salt/feed mechanism looks like? Also would like to know how the steel hitch connects to the poly case of the spreader.

Appreciate any insight on this spreader.

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

most tailgate spreaders are like this
  5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

The TGS06 is a brand new spreader this season. It's a tailgate spreader with an integral vibrator. Short of wet sand, it can spread just about anything.

I wonder if All Seasons was thinking of the TGS05, a very traditional auger spreader with no vibrator.

Scott Moorman
    Director of Engineering
    Buyers Products / SnowDogg / SaltDogg
  6. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

Is the hitch mount standard on the TGS06? I think I read it's part of the frame..?
  7. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

it comes with it's own proprietary receiver adapter.
  8. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

Downloaded the instuction manual. Decent drawings there of what you're getting. Shows the hitch mount and stake body braces. It does look simple. I'm going to Boonsboro MD tomorrow am to look at, and I think, buy a new one from Eastern Truck.
    Anyone here in ND or somewhere already spinning one of these this winter??
  9. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

I just bought one and will be returning it tommorow in the am. The only way to turn off or on the flow of material to the spinner is to physically turn the gate by hand and then run to the truck, put it a drive and spread. No matter how fast I ran I kept losing a bag or more every time i would use it. There are much better spreaders out there like a snowex is my opinion.
  10. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

It is a pain shutting off the flow each time you stop. Setting it low enough to spread but not fast enough to dump a bag each start and stop. It'll run empty in a flash if its open more than just enough to let it flow. Once I got the low flow plan it works very well, great capacity. I'm gonna use it for the year and get a vbox for next season.
  11. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

So if you set the gate at the right position does that eliminate the problem of losing a lot of salt? I'm looking at buying this model and wondering if you would reccommend it considering this issue.
  12. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

For the money, I paid less than 1,000 new w/ hitch mount(std), it seems to be a good buy. We ran it for one salt round so far so who knows how it will hold up. If you ..just.. crack the gate open it runs out until the spreader disc is full and stops. Then when you turn on the spinner it keeps running. I did lose a bag or 3 till I got it. AND it is a PITA to have to get out of the truck at all. I've got 7 stops on my route and I'm gonna deal with it for this winter.
  13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Thanks. That makes me reconsider this model. You shouldn't have to get out of the truck at all until you've got to load again. Or maybe I'm just used to box spreaders?
  14. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I have one of the smaller salters on my newest truck...all you guys are right about the fact that if you open the slider too far it comes out too fast...I just found the happy medium spot that doesn't drop too fast then hit the lots....I'm ok with it but I'm going to a v-box on this truck next year. I saw a poly vbox at the dealer yesterday so I'm gonna stop and see but this little spreader works well for what it is....if you don't have many accounts it's ok for what it is. I'm gonna add a bigger deflector though...
  15. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Do all tailgate spreaders have this issue? I only have run vbox so I'm not familiar with them. I was also looking at other manufacturers like snowex. Would I encounter the same thing?
  16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I just bought one and used it this weekend and boy its a piece of freaken junk in my opinion. Even with DRY salt it still plugs up even with the vibrator on, the controler is a piece of junk aswell. Im calling my dealer today and seeing what I can do. I would lose way to much money if I have my drivers use this thing. Oh ya and the damn latch is so hard to pull back you cant slam the lid down you need to get out of the slippery truck close the lid and then climb back into the truck to pull the latch back. Oh and my gaurd is so high that when the spinner throws salt it hits it , dealer told me to stand on it and bend it down, I tried but then it flexes back up because its mounted in plastic

Sorry for the rant but damn this thing is junk .
  17. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I just ran mine for the first time this past week. It did ok. The bagged rock I used was pretty fine, so it spread well, as long as the vibrator is on. Still a major pia to get out to adjust/stop flow. I only have 2 small commercial lots...so it's fine for what I need. Any more, I'm getting a vbox.
  18. matzke3

matzke3 Member

We too are looking into one of these. If go get the gate set to the "happy medium" does salt still work its way out as you transport? I know your not supposed to drive with the salter loaded but due to our situation we dont have much choice. Also we would like to run the bulk salt that we have. Its straight salt but it is finer than say conventional bag salt. Would it be a problem plugging up even with the vib? One last question for those of you that have been around this new unit. What is the control like? Is it digital? Does it have a blast feature? Our local dealer says these are great but there seems to be alot of negativity here. There cheaper than anythin else we've priced. Is there a reason?:confused::confused:
  19. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

yeah...you'll spill some. If you're still, it will spill until it hits the spinner than stop...unless the flow is open to much, then it will overflow the spinner and keep losing salt. There's a blast feature, but I didn't need to use it. I had to keep mine spinning on max, or else it wouldn't get thrown far enough, since the salt was too fine. First pass I had it set to 60 or so and I had a trail of salt 1' wide. Once I kept it on 99 it spread ok... yeah, reason I got this unit was price and came with a vib....1k with shipping.
  20. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

double post sry
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008