1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dog Speaders - big problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RayIl, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RayIl

RayIl Junior Member

I purchased new TGS01 & 06 with Vibrators last year, only used them twice and both times the did nothing but caause me issues. The spinner/spreader jambed all the time and I was using dry bagged ice melt. I called company and they were not help. I just pulled them out this year and I get error messages on the control. I have to be honest these units look and act like complete crap. Is this normal? For the money they should work, and now 3 stroms in and I have one dead unit and have a feeling the big ones will continue to cause me issues. Can anyone help me out -

2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I have several customers using the TGS01 and have never seen a complaint, other than when one tried to run sand in his.

The error message is most likely a poor connection at the spreader, did you clean and grease them?

Buyers have been fairly good units in my experience. What error message did you get?

3. RayIl

RayIl Junior Member

I have to believe you because the company won't be in bussiness if things worked like this but I am totally dumb foundered.... The big one, I have great connection and the unit comes and works for about 20 min, drive to next parking lot and I turn it on and get error - I have to go and mess with it several times. The small one I hooked up yesterday and it gives me a L and E error message

4. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

By "mess with it" exactly what do you do?

L code indicates low supply voltage, you likely have a poor connection at the battery or battery feed to controller. E indicates internal controller issue, but low voltage can cause that. See what your voltage at the controller is between the two terminals on the black/red feed to the controller. Disconnect the controller, put a DMM between the two terminals on the TRUCK SIDE of the harness, see if you have full battery voltage. A lot of installers are quick to hook up, and get a very poor connection, especially on GM side terminal batteries.

5. RayIl

RayIl Junior Member

OK, I will check this out - it's all new wiring but we all make mistakes - I will check this out

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We run from a 12v switch. Buyers controllers are junk. After 3 in one season I decided to never use them again. With Our new TGS05 we cut the plug off and just connected to 2 switches. Spreader on/off. Vibrator on/off. Much simpler.