1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dog salt jams

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tbone, Dec 7, 2007.

1. tbone

tbone Member

salt seems to jam auger constantly , looking for solution. i run magic o through box and seems to get jammed a awfull lot. pissing me off when i have to shovel salt out of hopper 3 in the mourning. i have baffels open , greased auger, cover salt . what next? please help

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I have never dealt with magic salt, but I have ran about 75 ton of bulk through my dogg within the last year and the only time i've had to go inside the box out was when I scooped up some wet salt and it froze.

The auger does jam sometimes, usually from the fact it packs down because I'm plowing for a couple hours before salting. Not a big deal just pop off the spinner, take a 1 1/4" wrench and break it free.

You said baffles open ? did you take them out ?

3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Thats Funny......their Sales Man Said Thats Impossible. Let Us Know The Outcome

4. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

are you buying treated salt or did you buy salt and treat it with magic o? I buy mine already treated (way easier for me). Last year my supplier recieved wet salt. The salt didn't hold all the magic it was suppose to (it ran out of the spreader) and it would freeze unless it was kept inside. I think you may have wet salt. Mine dosen't clump or anything. hope this helps

5. toast

toast Member

I have never delt with salt, but i think heres a good thread for you to read!

Click here

6. tbone

tbone Member

salt jam

thanks for the help , i am confused about the window washer fluid trick, if the hopper is full you can poor the fluid on top and it will free the jammed auger?

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Tbone;

Did the salt freeze ?
    Did you remove the baffles or just open them up ?
    Have you tried to turn the jammed auger with a wrench ?

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a case of window washer de icer in my garage just incase my v-box freezes

JR