1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dog Jamming Up.... Auger Does NOTHING!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MapleGuy, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MapleGuy

MapleGuy Junior Member

So we have a SHPE1500 Polyethelene spreader that we have been having a couple problems with. First off we use a sand/salt 70/30 mix. The first problem is that the auger basically does nothing. With the auger turned on full blast, NO sand comes out. The only way we are able to get the sand to come out is by running the vibrator. The second problem is that the hole jams up when the spreader gets to about 2/3 full. It doesn't always happen but I would say 50% of the loads it does.

Any ideas?? My first thought is maybe the auger is way worn down?? I don't know what it looked like when the spreader was new because we bought it used this fall.

2. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I think they are only rated to a 50/50 mix i could be wrong.

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

In many cases, you'll need to run the vibator while you are spreading, especially with a fine or sandy mix. That's the way it works.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I always run my vibrator, keeps the feed consistent an I can tell how much is in the spreader by the sound. Even when I was running an conveyor type gas drive I used a vibrator, stops tunneling over the conveyor

5. MapleGuy

MapleGuy Junior Member

But shouldn't the auger at least be doing something. I have zero control over the flow because it only comes out at the speed the vibrator vibrates it out at. Is this simply because I'm running a 70/30 sand salt mix and it is more made for salt?

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Imagine the auger is simply boring a tunnel through the material until you turn the vibrator on. If the material is "good" for the spreader, the auger is "full" (because the vibrator shakes everything down instead of just scraping the walls of the tunnel). Thus, you have complete control over the material flow with the auger.

However, you will be limited by how fast the material "falls" into the auger. You can try open your rear baffle to max or even removing it. 70/30 is pretty high, and sand can vary a lot. In most cases I've seen, at 70/30 you can probably make snowballs with your sand mix.

Scott

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe a silly ? But have you checked your auger when the unit is empty?