1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dog Install Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maximus44, Jan 18, 2008.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

HI guys.
    AI was wondering if I could make the electrics for the salt dog,protable?
    So I could move the salter from truck to truck?
    Maybe use a cigarette plug for it?
    Anyone done this? Ideas?tymusic
  2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I guess you could make it portable if you make a harness for each truck. The harness would have to be the part from the battery to your controller. A cig plug can not supply enough amps for the draw. All you would need to do is run a pos and neg wire from battery through the firewall and put a high amp connector on it just like the controller has already. The wiring to the spreader would have to be ran outside the truck and reused on each vehicle.
    Hope this helps.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Put a differant harness in each truck. It's better for the truck it will help keep the amp load down. Better for the spreader in that it will last longer and run better if current has a clean flow path and will help assure reliablity.
  4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

From what i remember the salt dogs wire harness is not really a harness. Its hard wired into the v box and you have to run it all the way up and into the cab and connect to controller. Great that there is no wire connection at the back of the truck for salt to cake on to but a pain to take out or switch trucks.

I didn't install ours but i think this is the case
  5. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

There is a seperate wiring harmess, not hardwired. There are already quick disconnects built in so if you get a second harness you will be all set. I believe that you will have to undo 2 connects to the controller and 2 at the back of the truck, i for the spinner and one for the hopper.
  6. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Ok,so how hard is it to install(wire ) the salter?
    where do the wires go? lol
  7. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Very easy! You need a power source, battery, then a constant power. Everything else in the harness has connectors to the controller and 2 for the salter. It takes the longest routing the wiring. If there was no routing it would take about 5 min to hook up!
  8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

If your thinking about wiring another truck, CPW has the best pricing on extra wiring harness's from what I have found. I have all 3 trucks wired "just in case".
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The longest part is to route the wire under the truck. Make sure you put where it wont get much wear from the elements and put those plastic wraps around the wires also for extra protection. The instructions that come with it are pretty simple. I saved myself $250 doing it myself instead of having the place that I bought it from doing it. i did everything in about an hour and when it is all done and nothing blew up I had great sense of self accomplishment with the job well done. Good luck and if you have any questions there are plenty of guys that will help you out.....
  10. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Ok,so I can see that 2 wires go to the battery.
    Where should I put the "trip" wire in the fuse box?(the small lead wire that is supposed to shut off the battery supply when not in use?
    Which fuse do I connect it to?