1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt doesnt slide down dump

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by natureboy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

I just got a GM 3500 with a 11' dump and put on a Fisher under tailgate spreader. Problem # 1 is the truck is much lower than the Fords so if I raise the dump too much, the spreader will hit the ground. Problem # 2 is the salt doesnt seem to slide down the dump too well unless i raise it almost all the way. This brings us back to the 1st problem and a new one...salt comes down all at once and fast and I end up with a pile of salt spilling over the salter onto the ground. Any suggestions to make the salt slide easier...I've been told wipe the dump with motor oil or spray Pam on it. Thanks

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Spray the floor and sides with rv antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid. Its cheap and effective.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

who installed it they need to shorten the bracket so the motor won't hit. my dump is rhino linned and works great

4. plowking2

plowking2 Junior Member
    from IL

Just raise it up a little and hit the gas. It will slide down.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we get a small can of diesel fuel and splash some on the dump floor ...keeps it from sticking and slides well

6. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

1. Put a plastic bed liner in th bed. The type used in heavy dump beds.

2. Put a bed vibrator on the dump bed.

3. Do both

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i'de go with a bed vibrator...they're relatively cheap and really work. Just don't get one of the big ones they put on tri-axles or you'll shake your brains out...