1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt direction ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ultimateinc, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

after seeing what i saw the other day i figured i would ask a few of you. In what direction do you salt i was salting the other morning and i looked across the street to a square lot and seen the guy going in figure 8's salting and you could see where the 8 was the only thing melting i was thinking that this guy didnt have a clue to what he was doing when i salt i go around the building close getting the sidewalk then go wider geting the middle lanes then wider getting the outside of the parking lot. just curious what ways people go since im sure there is no right method?
  2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Usually just a clockwise spiral if the lot is shaped right. Some strips we are backing up and coming out straight....
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

it just depends on the lot... if its a small lot, i do figure eights jsut because you cant make turns always . if its bigger , i do a big oval shape over and over, i skip a lane in the middle , so the turns are much easier
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think it kinda depends on your salter, every one I ever used "cast" the sand pretty well off of the drivers side of the vehicle, thus driving in a clockwise fashion with deflectors set low I've been able to get a decent spread even under parked vehicles. If there is salter that throws the other way I'd reverse my direction.