1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt declination waiver?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeffNY, Nov 13, 2009.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Is that even a word?

Anyways, I have accounts that are signed up for salt on an 'As Needed' basis, some its up to the owner, some, its up to me.

I was thinking about writing up something and keeping it with me, when they don't want salt, make them sign the paper, that way my ass is covered if something happens.
    Anyone do anything like this? Is it needed?
  2. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I have something similar to that. Accept I have a sort of "hold-harmless" agreement in my contracts that helps to insulate my company from slip and fall claims on account's that do not have us apply de-icing products. I also have de-icing agreements that get signed and time stamped by both the customer and the de-icing truck operator, as well as the time of the request made by the customer to us for de-icing. That way if we get the call at 6 am, apply at 6;30 and someone slipped and fell at 5;30 am, we aren't't held responsible for the fall because a customer wanted to try and save some money.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have a declining services line in our contract, says they're liable if they refuse salt/de-icing. They can decline anytime up until accumulation begins to fall in a given event be it ice or snow. We require they have it in our office either hand delivered or cert/return reciept mail before any accumulation. This form very carefully spells out that they are then assuming all liability for any slippery condition. When people start to squeek about salt, they're usually feeling financial pressure from either their own account or someone else, but when you properly explain things to them they begin to see the value of limiting libility, and most times will ask you to continue applications in the way you believe proper for a site or storm.
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Put it in your contract

We have a separate sign off area in our contract if they accept or decline ice-melter for both a plowing event and or a less than plowable event. CYA because they certainly don't care until they have the slip and fall. That's when the I thought you were gonna's start.