1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt damage to trucks/beds

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mike ward, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

What are you doing to protect your truck/bed from rust and corrosion from salting?

Thanks, MIke
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film!

MAR4CARS Senior Member

We have an auto shop my dad is 73 and has been pestering me to do it the old school way .. coat everything with used motor oil lol .. i'm first going to try some fluid film if i'm not happy with the results then it will be the old school way ...
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I second the Fluid Film. Available at most John Deere dealers (or GV's shop)
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film....

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use new motor cut down with some diesel. in a garden sprayer. also put a tarp under the v-box to catch the spillage

7. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I found fluid film at the TSC store too.
  8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

A rubber flap. Works well. I mounted extra tail lights in the bed because the the flap covers em up.

salter flap.jpg
  9. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

just to confirm I found fluid film at TSC for 13 a can and at Napa for 15 a can. Or 83.99 for a 3.78L can. Expensive sh**.
  10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

in my trial use of FF i didn't think it was any better than anything else i had tried EXCEPT for whatever reason i thought it was the best cutting agent for drilling holes in steel and some light mill work
    oil cut w/ diesel through a sprayer is much cheaper and faster
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

www.mcmaster.com.........$3.93 as can
  12. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I would not use "Used Motor Oil" it can be very acidic, tons of better products out there to use.