1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Corrosion & Zink plates will it work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have always wondered if zink plates , ( like the ones found on boats) would placing 1 on the plow frame , 1 on the truck frame and 1 on the body act as a corrosion inhibitor as it does on a boat? I know on a boat in salt water they work , I was wondering if anyone out here has a thought on this.

2. turfguy

turfguy Member

yep I have heard this before and I hate to tell you but....no it wont work. on a boat the entire hull is submurged in salt water
    {the electrolyte} and then the zinc anode being less noble slowly disolves and clings to the other surfaces on the boat. on a truck the electrolisis is seting up in many places without the contact to the zinc anode....kinda tough to picture but save your money and wash your truck after every snow event.....you will save your frame in the long run......

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

might wanna spray your plow with rino liner stuff comes in diffrent colors