1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt conversion????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ceaman, Mar 30, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

What is the conversion factor between how much salt is in a ton and how much is in a yard?

1 yard of salt =__.___Ton?
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Salt Institute says a cubic yard of rock salt weighs 2160 lbs.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I don't suppose it would throw the number too much, but does it depend on how fine the salt is? I would suppose that the more coarse the material, it would weigh less per yard since there would be more air space by volume. Kind of like buying stone. Or are we just best off assuming about 2200 lbs per yard?
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It is typical to assume rock salt weighs about a ton a yard. This doesn't account for the moisture content, or the size of the granules. Especially in bulk, you get a variety of granule sizes from dust to...?

The figures below are according to my Pocket Ref

I know this just confuses things even more........

5. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

another quality post by chuck smith, that chart will come in handy some day for me. thanks
  6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Chuck - though I didn't ask, I certanly appreciate the data on the angle of repose. Now I can figure out all my formulas - as this has been the missing link! Thanks.
  7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I LOVE this place!
    The best answers... fast.
    Thanks Chuck...
    Alan.... I went to Salt Institute and couldn't find that..
    Good Hunting.
  8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I had to search a while, I think I found it in a section on storage facilities. Buried a ways down but it's there.
  9. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

One yard of salt is approx. 1.4 tons
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

One addition thing to add is water content. Sometimes our salt is bone dry sometimes the train can pull up with water almost running out of the back end. Our semi driver said it can be as heavy as 2600# per yard. it suck when you have to pay for water weight!