1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Chunks.. what do you do with them

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Team_Arctic, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

So I had one of my guys leave the doors to the salt barn open during the last storm and it was quite windy and blew snow into the barn... now I have a 2 inch thick hard shell on my salt pile and im getting lots of chunks ... I have been tossing them in a big 250 gallon stock tank for the time being until I can figure out what to do with them... I thought of using them to make brine and letting them soak? anybody make a home made crusher to fix this problem?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just use the bucket of whatever you use to load trucks with and break it up. It will work just fine.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Run them over with the Bobcat or loader.

Otherwise put them in a heated garage.

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Run them over with the Bobcat or loader.

Otherwise put them in a heated garage.

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Have the guy that left the door open break them by hand. But still pay him cuz it's Christmas.

6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yep, break them with the bucket on the machine. we leave out salt outside with a tarp over it and e always get a "crust" over it. we mix into the pile before we load and have never had a problem.

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Smaller ones from inside the truck, I throw around like hand grenades. Bigger ones, I toss into the corners of piles that are hanging out...helps w/ the ice buildup, and when delivery trucks clip the corners they melt back nicely to the curb.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just run over them, not a big deal.

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Run over or pick up with loader and drop on floor of bin while driving backwards.

10. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

and I think you have your answer.... Did you try running them over yet?

11. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

should be able to run them over

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If it were me, I'd just run them over.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

wow

one of a few threads that offers a unanimous decision without any sarcasm. Great job everyone,

Merry Christmas

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly... my reply, at that point in the thread, was meant to be sarcastic. :eek:

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Too Funny

I thought it might be, but I was going to let it slide. Have a great one. Honesty is the best policy.:waving:

16. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I was reading somewhere that you can just run them over with the tractor. Have you tried that yet?

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

fill a 5 gal bucket with the small ones, and while your crews are shoveling , you ride around in a nice heated truck. if they miss a spot or slow down you throw the salt at them and tell them your helping them apply deicer to the spot they just missed

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If I leave any little bit of salt in the truck, then I get chunks too, but luckily I just use a shovel to bust them up a bit and the spreader grinds them up the rest of the way for me.

19. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Load up all those chunks and dump them at my house.......:D

20. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

dunno if anyone mentioned this yet,
    you could probably run them over