1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Calculations

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lesedwards, Oct 2, 2009.

1. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

I am pricing some public schools in our area and I have talked to so many people in regards to calculating that I thought I better check in with Plowsite and see if I can get a correct answer. One of my parking lots is 26,000 sq.ft. I am trying to figure out how many pounds of bulk ice salt it will take.I realize the quanity varies with how heavy you are spreading it but just an average. The answer that I have been going with is 1lb of salt does 80 sq.ft. therefore it will take 325lbs to do it @ .05 per lbs = $16.25

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I'd say your on track...but being a school you may go 450lbs. an acre on the light side is abot 750lbs.

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I should exclude the word "light side; I say this because we're not stingy with our salt.:)

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You really need to do a search on this. It has been discussed 453,257 time this month.

You're not putting enough down, and at that price you will lose money

Here's a hint, from my buddy Terrapro - 20#/K @ .20/lb

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:salute: I have been known to say that lol :waving:

lesedwards I think you should measure out 80sqft somewhere and mark it off. Then weigh out exactly 1lb of salt and spread it out in that 80sqft area you have marked off. Then ask yourself if that looks to be appropriate coverage for a de-icing situation.