1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt by the pallet

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by coalfieldslawn, Oct 29, 2015.

1. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

What is a good average price when buying pallets of salt? I've had a few prices from some stores but just wanted to see what everyone thought. I've never had to buy it before so I wasn't sure.
  2. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

We sell it for $250 a pallet in Cincinnati Ohio. If you can take a full truck load it is much cheaper
  3. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Dang, that's over $100 cheaper than the cheapest place I've found local.
  4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just going to depend on what you can work out, we used to do 6 figures sales with menards for construction materials so I knew the manager in building materials very well, but we were able to buy pallets of rock salt for the tail gate spreader truck at $225/pallet and I'd burn up 4-6 skids a year spotting our smaller lots or I'd just send him out for sparatic cold calls since it's easier to charge per bag vs guessing what we dumped out of the vbox in bulk.

Best thing is just talk to a few places and find the best deal for you.
  5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Damn you guys get great pricing. I buy for over 500 a pallet of straight rock.
  6. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

When I started out looking I got a quote of about $600 and thought that was a good price. The guy told me he'd give me a "cash specail". It was going to be right around $12 a bag. Decided to check at lowes and they gave me a price of $7.77 a bag if bought by a pallet. Instantly I thought that's where I'd buy at. Walked over to tractor supply and the manager told me he'd sell me a pallet with 64 bags on it for $385. Everywhere else I went just had 48 - 50 bags. I wasn't sure if $6 a bag was too high, but I figured in my area it wasn't going to be much cheaper. I was pretty satisfied with that price.
  7. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Just paid $4.90 per bag today, that was the pallet price. About 35 cents cheaper than last year.
  8. Chevy3500HD740

Chevy3500HD740 Junior Member

Where in Cincinnati?
  9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I got priced $325 for a pallet out of CT, have to pick up though.

Also quoted $350 for a mix blend, not sure whats in it exactly. Works good.
  10. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Here in KC-$160 pallet,18 pallet min, delivered.
  11. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I get MgCl for like 6.70 a bag. I think you could do better
  12. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I just put away 10 pallets of salt yesterday. It was 5.25 per bag. I would have liked cheaper but wasn't finding it anywhere locally:(
  13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  14. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Well now I have concerns. What kind of salt should I be looking for? Talk to another guy and he is trying to sell me out at $8.75. He claims he is is non corrosive and all the other stuff people are trying to sell me is not and it will destroy driveways/parking lots. I've been asking when talking to the managers of these companies for driveway and parking lot saltand they have never said anything about if it was non-corrosive or not. Should I call back and ask them or do you think what I ask for is what I'm looking for?
  15. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Is just plan rock salt what I'm looking for? I thought it was, but now a guy is telling me it has to be non corrosive or people going to complain.
  16. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Regular salt for asphalt, mag or calcium on concrete
  17. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

So the pallets I'm getting a price for should be okay for parking lots? I don't mean to sound goofy, but I know guys like you know what's needed so I'd like to double check lol.
  18. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

Have you done any snow removal before? Do you have any work already lined up? I'm not asking to be mean, but I'm concerned that you might be getting in over your head. Some additional research might be a good idea.
  19. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

You should call braen supply I just ordered 5 pallets from them this year 315 each. Im in nnj too also had it delivered for 90 bucks
  20. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Should be fine

Jesus Christ! I pay $389.20 for a pallet of 56 50# bags of Mag Chloride