1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt by the bag where to buy? in Ohio

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FiNaL, Nov 27, 2004.

1. FiNaL

FiNaL Junior Member
    from OHIO

I live in the middle of Greenville and Dayton,Ohio i am looking for a good place to buy salt by the bag. so anywhere near Troy,Dayton,Greenville area would be great. thanks
  2. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Go to your Local Home Depot and talk to store manager and tell him you'd do his lot and he will more than likely hook you up with a good pallet price.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not if he has someone to do it already. Lowes will deal on salt if you talk to them and buy by the skid.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I agree with Tarkus. More than likely they already have someone to salt and plow the lot.
  5. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Well from the stand point of a Home Depot Manager, I can tell you i want my store grand opening ready every morning before 5am when the doors open at 6am and my employees get there at 5am so i expect it to be clean. I will wheel and deal with anyone in the area to make my store open so i can make the money while the competition is waiting to open. No customers like to come to a store and try to get to the parking lot and cant. They have a hard enought time geting out of their driveways, let alone some parking lots in the area. But not my store. Its open and ready to be shopped.

Just my .02 cents
  6. Tarkus

Good point you just have to watch who you wheel and deal with so you are not caught short when it hits the fan. Anybody can handle it when it is the light stuff, it is when the big storm hit you find out how good a "deal" you have. I have seen more than one big store left out in the cold in a storm in my time. I hope you have better luck.
  7. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I buy my salt from my LESCO dealer
  8. Tarkus

Also check around some farms mills/stores because some of them in various places will cut you some good prices on salt from time to time if you order ahead of time.
  9. herherm

herherm Junior Member

check with robinson salt in west carrollton .good dealer.
  10. easygreenlawn

easygreenlawn Junior Member
    from N. Ohio

I have pallets available for $3.50 a bag for Ice-A-Way Halite- 50 LBS. bags. You must purchase at least 2 pallets for that price--49 bags per pallet. I can assist loading and delivery is also available for fuel cost plus $20 an hour for person driving, round trip. Let me know if you are intersted. I am in Bowling Green, Ohio area, 20 mins from MI and five from Toledo, Ohio. If anyone else is intersted , let me know! I will give quotes and I must have a few days notice!

Andrew Kramp
    (419) 810-9042
  11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Check with Buckeye Power Sales in Columbus. 50# bag2.99 per bag on the pallet price. 1-48 bags is 3.25 per bag.
  12. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

If you want to go for a drive you can get it in Medina Ohio. That is where i get all my salt. Since they are a trucking company they may just be able to ship it to you. You can get the salt in 50 lbs bags or 80.
  13. FiNaL

FiNaL Junior Member
    from OHIO

thanks guys i didn't think i would get that good of feed back thanks again i'll check out at some more local places. So far the best deal that i have found to be was our local hardward store $5 something for a 80 pound bag. I checked with Lowes they have a pretty good price and and home depot told me they didn't even have none in yet and couldn't give me a price. I also checked into Area Wide Services in Englewood,Ohio and they sell it $54 i think a ton if any of you need it by the ton. thanks again
  14. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

I buy salt from the same guy...Grimm trucking if i recall correctly.
  15. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Check your local feed supply companies. Western Reserve up her near the lake uses Ice Melt. Good product for a cheap price.
    However, buy in quantity.