1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt buying pool

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wyldman, Feb 13, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have noticed a lot of talk about salt shortages and varying prices as far as bulk salt goes.What we do around here is pool together a bunch of local companies in our area and pool all the salt we buy.It gives us better prices and moves us up on the priority list when salt gets scarce.The suppliers tend to look back at what you have bought previously and what commitment you will give them for the current year.Does anyone else do this ? It may be something to look into,to help lower your prices and have better availability.

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea, but... how do you keep straight who used what.... and where do you store it....?

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I should have clarified it better.We all have our own salt storage areas,and take separate delivery.To the supplier it shows up as one company with several separate locations.When we place the order,we just get it delivered right to us,and they bill us by the location address.the only drawback is if you get someone who doesn't pay then it affects the whole account.

4. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

our company has a large presence in the region, so we are split into several locations to begin with, and then within my area I'm sending salt to 5 different locations. These staging areas cover us or our subs for a storm. Between the sites have 125-200 tons at hand at any given time.

with all this snow this year we're all feeling the pinch now. Our supplier (philly area) is now trucking up to Northern New Jersey to get our salt, and raised our "set" price to cover their extra fuel costs.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey, you tell your supplier to keep his trucks outta NJ, I want my supplier to have his normal access to all the salt he wants! ;) I can see it now, snow plow contractors putting out those spike strips on the NJ Turnpike to catch the out of state trucks loaded with salt. When they come to a stop with all their tires flattened, we swoop in with skid steers or back hoes & load our trucks & run. LOL

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

We will be buying barge quantities next season for the better pricing.

They are offering free storage of the barge also.

We are pooling a few SRO together for a big decrease in price.

We heard of threats on bag salt shortages this year already.

A few years ago there was no salt available here what so ever but for muni work. not taking any chances.

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

No Salt for Pvt usage

This no salt for pvt contractors is out of control. All the salt goes to the twp, cities, countys and state. They set with salt bins full and we set here on empty. Why can there be a happy medium? Every salt bin owned by govt in NE OHIO I have went to see this weekend is full! and I set almost empty!
    Not a good thing.

Dave

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Why, Public safety. Wouldn't you rather have safe roads to drive on, at 25 MPH or more. Or would you rather have every parking lot bare where people should travel less than 15 MPH. I would rather have a safe road.

Geoff

9. BRL

Good point Geoff. As torturous as it would be if that situation happened here, I'd rather be able to get to my parking lots safely. Then I could plow them, or in a worst case situation, sand the lots if there wasn't any salt to be had. I have never heard of any sand shortages at any suppliers, so that is always an option when they are salt shortages.

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Govt gettin all the salt

I must have not made my view clear. There bins are FULL this salt is not making the roads safe. They are hoarding all the salt they can. Full salt bins only help the people who sell and store salt for money. Take half of all the salt in the stored bins and allow pvt contractors to use it to make the parking lots SAFE. There has to be a middle ground here some where!

11. GeoffD

You are missing the point. The goverment needs to have full bins so they can be ready to salt, before, during, and after an event. However they may also have an event comming in the next week. With out the salt they can't do their job, they can't subsitute sand for salt. I am sorry if it is driving your prices up, but i am sure the people in OHIO, sleep pretty well knowing they have material to treat the roads.

Geoff

12. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

We ran out and suppliers did also. We put 200gal skid tanks in the back of the trucks made booms real quick and had no problem finding liquid de-icer.

State, then muni's, then YOU is the way the salt chain goes. Once they get low they are required by the state to hord salt for them. This also mean if their bins are full they are still to hold salt for the state DOT's. Once there is an abundance again, then YOU can get salt.

Cure, build bigger bins to hold salt, and keep it full.

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

good idea,but a have to tell yah the truth.i get my sand/salt for free only had to pay twice this year at 55.00 a yard.i would just call up for 20 yards and it would show up 2 days later.never got a bill.this happened last year and the year before that.....lol lol never paid for it.the lady who lives next to me works at my supplier so i think that has something to do with it. :D

14. GeoffD

Again I believe it is the contractors problem. If you are always running out of salt, well it is simple stock more. If you in the biz, and your suppliers have a hard time keeping their supplies up. Then you need to stock deeper, build and bigger building, and store more of it.

Geoff

15. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

GeoffD

How can a person sleep when because of the hoarding practices of the Ohio state govts my salt bin, backhoe loader, salt trucks, industrial property and employees is of no value to me or my customers.

The only thing that makes me sleep better is when the sherriff declairs a state of emergency because of a snow and our plow trucks, salt trucks and loader is not allowed on road but 2 wd cop cars, 2 wd ems vehicles and 2wd private ems vehicles are. Yup I sleep so good between throwing up because of there control freak views.

I make the investment in money and time and they control how and when I can do business.

Dave.

16. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

State DOT's have priority number 1.

What goes on in your town is a muni problem and uncommon to almost all others. You may need to educate your township and/or contract to them.

Mike, you slipping something to her, and she slips the invoice in the trash???????

17. BRL

Also many of the muni storage sites that I see hold about enough salt for an event to maybe 2 events. So while they look nice & full, they are really only ready for 1 or 2 complete saltings, and they rely on a constant restocking of their stores through the winter.

18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

snowgodfather

shes been doing this for the past 6 years to me.same with topsoil,mulch,stone and a few shrubs.i make sure to plow her driveway every time it snows.i have no clue where the invoice goes.same thing happened when i bought a 16 foot landscape trailer from that company......LOL LOL.now you guys know why i have so many trucks and equipment.......LOL

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

mike,
    There are some things that might be better left unsaid! COOCOOCACHOO Mrs. Robinson;)

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

yup thats true