1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt buster

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wls, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

I got a super buy on some pallets of salt, its basically water softner salt, and some chunks/pieces are the size of a 1/2 dollar piece, and 3/16" thick. Theres not many of them in a bag, but enough, thats a big hassle to use. My buyers tailgate comes right to a stop, if the bigger piece gets in the auger just right. My question is there a tailgate spreader that would work on this type of salt? The salt works good for ice, as I used a similar brand last year but was all a smaller uniform size. I know a person that has a western pro-flow that he may sell. wondering if this would do the job. Thanks

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have been a strong believer in the softener salt. It doesn't melt as quick as halite. As far as the salter stopping, we have blast buttons on our spreaders (Meyers). It shoots a full 12 volts to the motor, which usually dislodges the chunk. I've found that by turning the dial to 10 doesn't full blast it. I find I don't use near as much salt as with Halite, and I still get great results.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A two stage spreader would do it - like the Western (with the belt), but another idea would be to fabricate a mesh screen (like expando) to go over the top of your opening to catch these larger chunks.

4. wls

wls Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing, but after looking at all the pallets I have, there is only one pallet that has the large chunks in it. I can use that pallet for the water softner, and my son-in - law could use it also.

5. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Lay a big tarp down and spread the salt on it, cover it up with another tarp and drive over it with your truck until it's small enough to flow thru your spreader. Just my .02.