1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Bunker Covers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mdwstsnow512, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Anyone know a good cheap source for Hoop type sheds for over top of a salt bunker, to be mounted on concrete blocks

for some of the pricing ive seen i could build a steel sided post frame type structure from menards cheaper.

looking for possible options i can put at a on site bunker.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good and cheap usually dont go together. I know a guy who bought a cheap instant garage and the first couple snow storms the roof ripped and it all went down hill from there. Maybe just put a heavy tarp over it.
  3. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

ya i know they dont, but one can hope.

we used a heavy tarp last year, but with the volume of salt, if you get 6-8 inches of snow on it it is a pain in the ass, so im looking to go with somthing with a door to keep the weather off of it.

we are still going to use the tarps on the smaller piles

4. Brian Young

I get a Tec Supply book every once in awhile and they sell a bunch of covers for just about everything. I was looking at a bin cover that went for around 1500.00
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We just got one in from Farm Tek, 15 yr fabric warranty and 3-4 on the frame, for less than $3,000 to our door. I couldn't find anything better(warranty wise) for anywhere near that price, others were available for the same or very slightly less money but had a a lame warranty, like 12 months on the package. There were others for 2X(or more) the price with the same warranty, other had a better warranty, but for the difference in dollars the value was just not there. So we have it, checked it out, seems pretty tough. We'll see how it looks in a couple weeks and how well it lasts through the winter.
  6. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Think about a

shipping container, you can pick them up sometimes for around $1,000 or so. Throw a coat of paint on it with your logo and you'll have some advertising as well.
  7. Brian Young

Thats a good idea, wish I had room for one.
  8. forestfireguy

One issue with a shipping container is corrosion obviously, second is that on a good day you might maybe almost get 30 tons in it, if it's a big one and if you're good and have the right machine. For operations needing more volume it's tough to beat the "mafia solution" mafia blocks that is, not the cement boots version, though for those who don't pay well thats an option.......LOL.

We unpacked our Farm Tek dome today, very impressed so far, will take pics when it's up.
  9. Brian Young

Nice! would love to see it.
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I have a 8X20 shipping container for my salt... I've fit 32 tons in the thing but it was jammed! they have a 40 footer for those interested. I like mine...dry, no snow to fool around with, and no tarps to blow away.... but it can be a pain also... took me 1 1/2 hours to load the 32 ton and its tight in the inside.... the easiest way would be the blocks and a shelter of some type like forest said...just make sure the dump load of salt can make it in there or your going to be handling it twice.....kicker is you'll probably have just as much with the block and shelter then I do with my box... you'd spend what 4-5 hours setting the whole thing up per season and another 4-5 breaking it down? I simply call the tow truck and they place it where ever I want.. something to think about....time is money.....

Good luck
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Have 30' x 60' x 17'4" from farm-tek or tek-supply going up soon! Can't beat them price and warranty as others stated. We got 100% white one for this building.
  12. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Lets see some pics when up. I am building bins from concrete blocks as well. I had problems with my local building dept. and they said I had to have engineered stamped drawings for both the building and the foundation since they had no specs building a fabric structure on those blocks. All I can do is get a temporary permit and it can only be up four months at a time. Bunch of B.S. if you ask me. If you got more info that can help please let me know.

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Here is one that I keep on-site. I bought the car port for less than $250. I just anchor the car port to the blocks. I've also built one using 2 car ports we just butt them end to end. These work well for me, but I've got a Farm Tek cover for the pile at the shop since it stays up year round.

14. forestfireguy

For those with the FarmTek covers, how long have you owned them. We just got ours and I'm curious how they hold up.
  15. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have one that is over 7 years old. holding up just fine