1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt build up on spinner

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flipper, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

On one of my Snoway V boxes I am having trouble with the salt building up on the spinner to the point where the fins are covered and it wont broadcast out. I have to stop and pick it out before performance returns. Only happens with one spreader. Salt all comes from same pile and v-boxes are tarped. Anyone have any ideas?

2. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Could it have something to do with your spinner picking up moisture from the road? Does it sit any higher/lower than the rest of your fleet?

Just a thought

3. nicktw25

nicktw25 Member
    from Woods

I have a similar situation with my SnoWay 6 cu. ft tailgate spreader. I think mine is more of a design flaw. When you pour salt into the hopper, it goes all the way down until it hits the spreader. Which kind of clogs itself in a way. Which going from job site to job site, hitting bumps and going through turns all of the salt falls off the spreader. Seems like I'm wasting a lot of salt..... thought about welding a mini auger onto the drive shaft..

4. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

It could be that the spinner is running at a lower rpm and not cleaning itself
    or could it be a little rusty or pitted allowing the material to stick to it? Just some things I've seen...