1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt buckets

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnguy, Jan 22, 2015.

1. mnguy

mnguy Member

Hello -
    We take care of several townhomes and a few have asked for ice/salt buckets to be placed around there sites. I was thinking about five gallon pales with salt in them Anyone have any ideas of what we could use. One property want's three the other wants two.
    Thanks

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yup 5 gallon pails can work, they also sell salt bins(about size of household garbage cans) for about 100-200 bucks depnding on size you want.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I always used 6 gallon buckets with a lid filled with clearlane so I doesn't harden or clump.

4. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

We use rubbermaid totes, 15 gallon size I believe, they hold around 200 lbs of salt.

5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

5 gallon with lid, with a hand held salt shaker

6. mnguy

mnguy Member

Treeman I never thought about a rubber made that might work better then the pale Thanks

7. BC Handyman

All depends on size/quanity needed to store, that depends on how much they will use, I do caution you on getting "too big" of a container since if it's left for too long you will end up with wasted product & it may get overused if there is "lots" in the homeowners mind. I have found buckets placed for community areas(ie: entrances, mailbox areas ect.) that they end up getting used for personal use(between there car or their deck) so if it's included in price be carefull on size placed, but if they paying for each refill, go wild.

8. BC Handyman

Oh and a good fitting lid is a must.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I put out many five gallon buckets....but

They sure seem to disappear or come up empty :)

I have one site that they never use any of the salt I give them...but they are always the one asking...can you fill our bucket again.

I believe their buckets will start to be filled with junk salt from last year. Hate to do it...but I know it is going home with them.

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

This. But we sell them as safety buckets. Easy money!

11. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We do the same. We give some people the first bucket as a nice gesture. Then refills or more buckets are billed. All the buckets have our company name on them, say ICE MELT, and our contact info.