1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Brine

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I'm going to give this a try this week as its suppose to get below zero with some snow. i mixed 10lb. of salt in a 5 gallon bucket it made 4 gallon and i put it in jugs and am planning on dumping 1 gallon in the spreader after its loaded to see if it helps, approximately 300lb. in a western1000, and if it don't i have calcium chloride flakes i can always add.

2. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

What are you trying to accomplish?
    :mechanic:

3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

to jump start the salt

4. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I was just wondering.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

No problem. if you know a better way i'm all ears. i'm not set up to spray liquid directly on the spinner but if this works it's something i will consider when i switch to a v box especially if its cost efficient and i get the same results using less material.

6. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I am pretty new to this brine stuff as well. This is my second season using it. I do the spray after plowing a lot and love the results. I am working on building my pre wet sprayer now. :mechanic:

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Will it jump start your salt: YES

Will you see any significant difference?: Probably not

Applying pre-wet salt w/salt brine at / below zero? : I don't think it will work or make a difference

Trying to do what you are going to do with a tailgate spreader w/ small electric motor?: It might decrease how far it will throw the salt

I think you would have better luck in changing the flake to brine then dumping the the LCC on your salt.

But good luck and let us know how it works?

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

From what i have read it seems to be the ticket. I'm doing what i call the poor mans trial and error, it may not work as good as spraying it directly on the spinner but it will give me an idea if its worth it or not and besides if it don't work im only out about a half hour of my time and with the winter we been having time is plentyful. Good Luck and Stay Safe

9. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

That is my next trial using Flake instead of salt or just adding flakes to the hopper with the salt and let the spreader do the rest. i'm running bulk so i'm use to it not throwing as far. I believe the flake to brine is approximately3lb. per gallon( is this correct?) Thank You

10. Kubota 8540

Wetting your salt with salt brine will perform best in dry fluffy snow events with temps ranging from 15-30F.

Wetting your salt with LCC will perform in all temps but is great when the temps are lower.

Wetting your salt with LCC at about 6 gallons per ton in my opinion is perfect.( I have used 8 gallons per ton and thought it to much) 6 gallon per ton, Thats 3 gallons per 1,000 pounds, 1.5 gallons per 500 pounds. Other wise the salt gets sticky and hard to spread. It will decrease the amount you need to spread by at least 10%.

Your winter sounds like ours. POOR

I can relate to the trial and error. I have BOXES of expensive parts, fittings, and nozzles in many boxes on my shelves.

Least expensive way of spraying at the spinner would be a $125 electric quad sprayer.

11. Kubota 8540

I have tried adding flake to my bulk salt but really didn't see any difference.

4 lbs. Dowflake Xtra and 0.8 gallons of water will give you 1 gallon of 32% cc.

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thank You. 10% adds up when you think about it. i love the quad sprayer idea. I have seen whiter winters thats for sure.Good Luck and Thank You again. Mike

13. Kubota 8540

Our local winter totals are: 1/8" of ice, 1/2" of snow, and a couple of rain filled frozen potholes.

14. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

After reading your advice yesterday i decided to make a small batch of LCC and i used it this morning on my lots that needed salting and it definitely helps. it is 7 degrees with a wind chill of 8 below and my lots are melting with the salt and LCC mixture. It is doing exactly what i wanted which is melt ice at cold temps without having to double up on the salt used. Many Thanks. Mike

15. Kubota 8540

It does work very well. The coldest I have used LCC was -7F, but I sprayed (no rock salt) directly on a 3/4 -1" snow and had a total melt in 45 minutes.

Where pre-wetting your salt comes in real handy is in normal cold temps with dry fluffy snow. Pre-wetting / spraying at the spinner with salt brine works excellent in that situation.

Pre-wetting / spraying at the spinner with LCC works at much lower temps as you found out.

Before you know it you will be messing around making a small brinemaker and adding a spraying device to your spreader. By adding these liquids into my small operation (50 ton salt per winter) I now only purchase 25 ton. But I still make the same money as I did when I had to order the 50 ton. It works.

16. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

my main reason for wanting to try this is 1 of my accounts is a medical center sitting on a ridge next to an open very large field and and icing and drifting snow is a concern and this will make my life easier. there has been times i left the house with nothing more than a spotty dusting and i get there which is 5 minutes or less from home and end up pushing 4 inches of snow or melting 1/4" of spotty ice in the lot. This is only my second year plowing commercially and i have a lot too learn and folks like yourself and others on this site have been great. Thank You