1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt brine

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by extremepusher, Dec 10, 2012.

1. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Looking for some salt brine in the west michigan area. We are looking at trying prewet with some liquid's this year. Just looking for 10 to 15 gallons for now.

2. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Make your own:mechanic:

get a trash can and put 50 pound of salt in then add 21 gallons of water. agitate till desolved!

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto, that little bit of quantity shouldn't be tough to make.

4. snomover

snomover Junior Member
    from Maine

I've got mine going right now. I'm also trying it on a small scale to see how it works. I plan on pre treating walkways with a 10% addition of calcium, I'll post my results as soon as i get a chance to use it. PS. I'm using a 32 gallon trash can with a 3/4 hp sump pump with Water softener salt as its more pure.

5. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

That is how I made mine last season. I liked the results so much that I now have a brine maker that does 400 gallons per hour.

6. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I think softener salt is more exapencive than bagged rock salt. I was surprised how little was there was in the bottom of trash can after I made a batch. Fyi

7. snomover

snomover Junior Member
    from Maine

What do you mean? Was there a lot or a little left? and did you use regular ice melt or did you use water softener salt?

8. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

sorry,

i used regular bagged rock salt.

there was very little left after it was done. maybe a coffee cup full

9. Under Pressure5

Under Pressure5 Junior Member

New to Salt Brine!

Hello All, I have recently purchased a salt brine making setup as well as truck mounted boom sprayer etc. In my area it has been hard to compare our services to others. I could use some guidance on what to charge to : 1. A ball park price for selling brine to other contractors 2. Rates to apply the brine.

Let's say for example our target market is residential homes. Average drive is 60'.
    I was thinking a weekly application for the winter months(depending on the weather)

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I can get rock salt for $75.00 per ton.
    To make Brine- cost per gallon $0.12

Thanks in advance -
    Mark
    Edit/Delete Message

10. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Thanks for the info guys. Will post findings

11. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

So what if you wanted to add calcium chloride what % would you use to treat 21 gallons of water?

12. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

ask Kabota!!! I have not messed with that yet! :help:

13. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never tried to make my own calcium chloride. I have tried substituting well brine for it but didn't care for it. I have stuck with Liquidow 32%.

I found this on Plowsite some time ago, I'll repost it here.

"First, there is no more Dowflake (78-78%). There is only Dowflake Xtra (83-87%).

Now put 41 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra in 8.2 gallons of water and you will end up with 10 gallons of 32% liquid calcium chloride.

If you wanted to make 250 gallons of 32% calcium chloride, you would need 1036 lbs. of Dowflake Xtra and 206.1 gallons of water.

Also, back to the original ?. In one gallon of water - 4 lbs. Dowflake Xtra and 0.8 gallons of water will give you 1 gallon of 32% cc.

For winter applications, the highest you should attempt to make is a 35% solution. Anything other 35% will fall out of suspension in freezing weather."

So to add by volume 10%. 21 gallons x 10%= 2.1 gallons of 32% liquid calcium chloride is needed,
    To make 2.1 gallons of 32% liquid calcium chloride =8.4 lbs of Dowflake Xtra into 1.68 gallons of water

Answer: 8.5 pounds into 1.75 gallons I would think would be close enough?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012