1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Brine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Landmark1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Ive been doing alot of reading on salt brine, and most of what I have read is that it is used as a pre wetting agent. Is there anyone using just salt brine as a deicer after plowing your lots? And if so how well does it work?

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I did when I started but didn't like all the results I got when the surface temps went down to 15-17 F, so I added in 10% by volume liquid calcium chloride. That's all I spray now down to a surface temp of 5F.

3. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

How much snow and or ice can you melt?

4. Kubota 8540

I usually don't try to melt more than an inch. If there is a chance to plow I will plow 1+

5. Kickin Grass

Kickin Grass Member

Are you talking about salt brine that these guys are making or well brine? There is a big difference. Well brine works allot better then the brine that you make and its cheaper.

6. Kubota 8540

How much does the well brine cost, that you speak of ?

7. Kickin Grass

Kickin Grass Member

The cost is cheap. I can get it from .21 cents to .40 cents delivered depending on how much I buy at a time. It's ready to load and I just have to run. I have been using it for over five years now. I cannot store rock at my place. DEQ will not give me a permit and the storage requirements are stiff. Were the brine is stored in tanks and nobody says anything about it.

8. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

uh.. humm.. (cough) (cough) lol

9. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

1 810 395 8600
    1 8773 4 brine

10. Kubota 8540

At .21-.40 per gallon is a good price. Unfortunately here in Illinois it cost more than that per gallon, actually at least .20 more per gallon due to trucking cost. I have tried well brine and I personally have no problem with it. Currently it is mixed into my salt brine at 10% per volume. I have sprayed it straight @ approx 60 gallons per acre, but my customers didn't like how their lots remained damp for days. Nature of the beast I guess, seeing how it is hygroscopic. It sure works great when extreme cold weather strikes. I also have sprayed and mixed liquidow with my salt brine with results the same as well brine did. For me whether I use a well brine or liquidow liquid calcium chloride comes down to price, quantity needed, and availability. By mixing calcium chloride with my salt brine I tend to get the best results of both applications. Making my own mix, my cost are under .20 per gallon all the time.

11. Kickin Grass

Kickin Grass Member

My customers like it. It does not track in the building like salt does. I do not have to much problems with the lots being damp. I use it because of the cost. It's way cheaper then salt. The only problem with it is when you have freezing rain. Then I have to use rock. Rock cost $95.00 per ton, then add tax and it's at $107.00. I see your point in making your own.