1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Brine...Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowMatt13, Nov 21, 2004.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Our municipality will be equipping all our 5 yard plow trucks with pre-wet systems and we will be using salt brine made by us in them. My thoughts....
    Pro's....It will activate salt faster after it hits the pavement, it does reduce the "bounce" of the salt when it hits the pavement.
    Cons.. We will constantly be making salt brine, if we get multiple storms close enough we may run out before the next "batch" is ready (we only have one 1100 gallon tank and will be filling 5, 75 gallon tanks on trucks).
    It took us a couple of 8 hr. days to make 1100 gallons with the correct concentration.
    Since the salt will be activated faster, it will dilute faster if it continues to snow thus the need for more applications.
    We only plow approx. 10 miles of road that has a 45mph limit, everything else is side streets and subdivisions.
    We can purchase calcium chloride treated salt for $3.00 more per ton.

So there's my thoughts.....will it be worth it, I hope so. Oh, btw, each unit is $1500 and we're doing the installing. Any advice, opinions, thoughts are greatly appreciated since we at work have been debating this in quite some detail lately. I knew that I could come to the pro's for some intelligent feedback. Thanks and here's one for replying :drinkup: :waving: