1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt brine, does it work?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 419bobw, Oct 16, 2012.

1. 419bobw

419bobw Junior Member

Hello, my name is bob wines and I run a now smaller snow removal business in Northwest Ohio west of Toledo. I have a buyers poly-stainless steel 1.8 cu yrd v-box speader. The top seal on the right angle gearbox has gone south and the top bearing with it. Is there a business that sells component parts? Can't see replacing a $500 gearbox when I can fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated.

My real question is how well does salt brine work? Is it effective with a pre-snowfall application only? Does it have to be pre-applied then bulk later? We have customers that want at least salted wet pavement by store opening. Small snow falls 1-!1/2 pose a problem
    with repeat plows every few days wearing a person out.Have never used salt brine but would like to ask the pro users out there what the rule of thumb is for a light snow strategy for salt brine applications with or without bulk salt applications to control lighter snow. I have the equipment to apply, and make the brine, just don't know how much is needed per inch at a set temperature window, and if it's worth the bother.

I would like to thank all involved with the operation of this site!!!!!
  2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt brine works down to a surface temp of about 17F, but it gets slushy when sprayed at lower temps. I use a 90/10 mix of salt brine and liquid calcium chloride. I spray this mix on all events down to approx 5F, then turn to all liquid calcium chloride.
  3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Every time you apply granular salt, you melt snow\ice with salt brine.
  4. Kubota 8540

Absolutely correct.

But by taking the same amount of salt you apply to any specific area, converting it to salt brine then spraying brine directly you can treat almost 3 times the amount of area. This holds true in most all situations where the moisture content of the snow is low. In higher moisture content snows or ice events then rock salt is still king.
  5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

So for me in coastal north east, where heavy, wet snow is the norm, this brine product is less able than pure salt or other solid icemelt products in general? Is that what you are saying. Temp must have a real effect of course. We do have a lot of short small freezing rain events where it is raining then temps go to 31 degrees and in an hr you have 1/4+ inches of solid slippery ice. I have been using treated salt. Some are better than others but if no pretreat is done and no forcast is given. It can take a lot of product to melt the ice so just looking for solutions.
  6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

The real questions are weather before the storm combined with expected low temp. If you have enough rain to run down the street before the snow starts, then liquids are not effective no matter what liquid you use. If temps do not go below about 27* then salt brine is a good low cost choice. Colder, then look into mag or calcium chloride.
  7. Kubota 8540

Liquids work best in certain conditions and are an excellent way to save/make money. But I still keep rock salt at the ready,