1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt box

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sectlandscaping, Jan 1, 2013.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I'm trying to fix two problems with one solution.

Problem number 1 is keeping salt in back of truck dry.
    Problem number 2 is storing left over salt for next season.

I tried tarps but that doesn work well. I tried totes but they break easily and dont hold a lot.

Im set on making a salt box that goes in the bed of my truck. Something either 4x4x2 or 1x7x1. Both could be made with 2 pieces of plywood and some 2x4's. I would put a hinges on the top to open and close. This would have a side benefit of eliminating salt in the back of the bed.

It will only carry 1 yard of salt but thats usually what I have laying around after a season. I have tailgate spreaders that carry 700# and 1000#.

2. Jdkid

Jdkid Junior Member

Get some plywood and 2x4s and make a box.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

sounds like your a bagged type of application driven business. buy as you go if possible , tarp a fresh skid on hand for them late nite surprizes .

4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

We build a box on top of a skid so it can be picked up with a forklift still. You just need a good skid some plywood and 2x4 the salt stays dry.

5. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

No, I'm buying bulk salt. I only buy a little under 2 tons at a time. I have it just dropped in the bed. I keep enough to refill the spreaders and go back. The problem is if I leave the left over in the bed it always is wet. The spreaders are covered so thats not a problem.

I tried to reuse my leftovers from last years and it was just mud. Even with 2 tarps on it the water soaked it.

I was just curious to what others do. I seen the salt tents for people that are buying 20 tons at a time but nothing for smaller ops.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

why not get a few of these? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377215_200377215

or one of the big Jobsite boxes I see some guys have in the bed of their trucks, spray on bedliner the inside and I bet that would keep everything dry and allow you to carry alot. But they are expensive. I have thought about the plywood box idea myself to store a rock/salt mix to use, but have limited room with the blowers in the bed of my truck.

7. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

I was going to build the same type of box for my truck. To cover it I found a guy on craigslist getting rid of an old hard tonneau cover. It had three panels that keeps folding back, now if only I would stop drinking beer and get to work

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

9. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Just use a poly skid tank, most mulch places sell them for $50-100. Cut the frame and weld a support around it, make a plywood lid for it, and you have a forklift compatible skid that is plastic lined, and keeps stuff dry.

10. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

ahh , salt will always be damp unless stored indoors .
    it will absorb / retain any damp or rainy day water outside even when tarped.
    salt also works faster when wet / damp if you've noticed .
    thats why there are calcium spray systems wetting the salt as its being discharged onto spinner .

use a vibrator with an anti-bridging plate above the auger as sno-ex does . it comes out

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

A vibrator was the best investment Ive made for salt