1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt bins

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the first pix is our salt bin (we just rent) and the second is another set of bins they have for rent and it is HUGE! i think it would hold 2-3000 ton??? it is an old style state bin, before they swithched over to coverall blds

100_0455.jpg

100_0452.JPG

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What are the dimensions of the big one?

3. Jay brown

i'll measure this week... i'm guessing 60x60??? look at the 5th wheel trailer in the left bin...hope this helps

100_0453.JPG

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's look alot bigger in the last pic.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Looks to be about 40'x60'??

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Those are nice. Excalting what I'm eventually going to have to do here. With the wind I don't think the coverall will work.

7. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

Has any one stored salt on location in a PacVan mobile storage unit. could some one use a shooter truck to load a container. Then one could lock it up and keep it dry. They make them in 8x20 and 8x40.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of guys use containers, not sure what a Pac Van is.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I hear the floors rust out of them so either buy a used shipping container (there cheap) or get the ok from the rental company

10. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I think renting a new one every year could be an idea.

11. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Lucky I have been renting containers for the past several years and it has worked out well. It sure helps having salt on site at our biggest lots.

12. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I got an old truck with a box on the back. Think the "technical" term is a cube van. I want to say its 8FT X 20FT . It hold's 20 ton. It's all aluminum, with hard wood floor, and hard wood sides 2 1/2 feet up with heavy duty plywood to the top. Aluminum so it should last my life time! It has 1 light in it now, will wire up 3 more and put a heavy duty diesel battery out side it.I will get pictures have to anyway. I put the salt in with the Bobcat 863. Have aboue 4 inch's on each side of the wheel's, and around 4 inch's from the top of it and an asphalt ramp leading into it.Close fit but hey, it does it!!

13. Jay brown

salt will eat up aluminum too....

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

ditto:nod: