1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Bins

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SGLC, Dec 21, 2005.

1. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Ok, I've done some searches for this but only get threads on large bins. I've come into the need to get some small salt bins to keep on sites with sidewalks to store some salt. Does anyone know of places to order or band names? The only ones I've found are in the U.K and that's kinda far.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

for what bagged? or mini-bulk?

3. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Either or?

Either or....just on site storage for either instead of transporting.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

how about one of them 6x6 rubbermaid shed/storage things they sell @ hd/lowes? you could pile 2 pallets in there and lock it.

5. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about some 30 gallon plastic barrels? Or 55 gallon steel?

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  8. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

That didn't work

Links go to the main page. The ones I've seen around here for salt storage are fibreglass and the ones from the link of the site are plastic. When they are square, makes it a lil easier to scoop out of if its bulk salt.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

10. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Ok.....I have one of those now where I store my salt inside my garage. Kinda big....and the salt pushes the sides open a lil and leaks out the sides.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I was just going to say...be careful on what they are made out of, because alot of them just won't work for salt in bulk. We made that mistake years ago when we tried using some Rubbermaid storage bins. They just swell and you can't get the lid on them. Eventually, they get so cold that they just crack....or should I say "explode". They (Rubbermaid) do make these tanks that are made out a real thick fiber material. It is that hard poly stuff like the mop buckets are made out of, but a bit thicker. I just looked some of those up last night, but they don't have lids. I have one from years ago that we used as a trough for the horses. Here's the link.
    http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/subcategory.jsp?categoryID=507&subcategoryID=555

12. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Its funny

...how I see them out there but can only find them in Frigid England lol. The price on them is good, pounds or not. Wonder what shipping across the pond would be.

13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Whatever you choose make sure you can lock it or ,most likely, it will be empty each time you need it.

15. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Why don't you just use a 55 gallon drum. Build two X's out of 2x4s and lay the drum on it's side. I can get a pic if you need it.

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Like a big Bar-b-que.

17. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

We use plastic barrels. No problems. We made a few storage bins for bagged salt out of wood and painted them to match the buildings they were by. They were weather tight and lockable. We had the building owners ask if they could buy them after the season was over for storage for lawn equip and maintenance supplies. Why not?payup

18. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

19. bobcatuser

bobcatuser Junior Member

20. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

That there is pretty much what I"m looking for albeit a little large. I've seen some that hold roughly 6 bags. After looking around at the Dock Boxes, I'm pretty certain that's what the guys around here are using. Now a matter of trying to find a place to buy dock boxes.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005