1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ipushsnow, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Anyone ever order from Saltbin.com? They are an advertiser on this site. Any comments? Anyone know what they are charging per ton? Yes, I filled out a contact form but just asking while I wait for them to reply.

2. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

The prices are---per ton 100 ton minimum. Comes in by railcar.

Contact me regarding the areas below

St. Louis Area
    Kansas City Area
    Chicago Heights,IL
    Bensonville, IL
    Detroit MI Area

Rick
    314-614-2100
    ASI Management

3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Rate for mpls, mn?

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what happens after the rail car gets there? you go with a few trucks to pick it up/ do they load you? how does it work?

any one hear from advantage?

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Good question how do you unload a rail car ??

Plus i have to pay $13,700.00 to a company ive never heard of and can expect salt in about 6 weeks!

6. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I would assume for $137 a ton they would unload the railcars into your trucks. I under stand your concern for prepaying for salt to be delivered at a later date with a company you have never done business with. Two weeks ago I had the same problem and had to prepay for 140 ton with a different company that I also had never done business with, fortunately the salt arrived as promised.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i would hope the price is unloaded into your trucks but who knows

how close does the train get to you it still cost $4/ton min to have it brought to my pile from where they unload the trains here if you have to pick it up farther away it could be much higher

you cant just unload a train car on a moments notice either, it may sit on the car for a while especially around here the rails get kinda bogged down with corn in about a few weeks

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  8. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Yes when the salt is loaded into the rail car at the mine you will receive a tracking number so you can see when they will arrive at your city, and when they get there you would have to have trucks waiting to haul it. We off load the rail car right into your trucks. The rail company gives you two days to unload the cars, after that they will charge you.

Rick
    314-614-2100
    ASI Management

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

who pays to have it unloaded

10. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Offloading Question

Depending on what terminal you pickup your salt, we capable of unloading 5 to 20 cars a day.

Chicago Heights = 5 to 7 cars a day.

St. Louis = 20 cars a day.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

so is that unload/ reload price included ? so all i would have to do is truck it?

12. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Salt to Minneapolis

We can get the salt to Minneapolis but we don't have an offloading company there to get it off the train. If you can off load it I can get you salt.

Rick
    SaltBin.com
    ASI Management

13. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

To answer some of the questions here, I spoke with Rick from Saltbin.com and here is what he told me..
    Salt is X amount per ton to my area PLUS unloading fees. He said those fees are usually $5-$10 per ton, but he has seen as high as $15. You must have your trucks there.

This is NOT regular rock salt like you are used to, it is solar salt which is much finer, almost like powder, with some small chunks in it. I explained to Rick that I have used this salt before and while it works great (due to the increased surface area of the material), it goes through the salter A LOT faster. And boys, I mean A LOT faster. I have a customers parking lot that takes 10 bags per salting and I know how fast to go through the lot to get it all covered with a little extra. With this solar salt I drove my usual speed and was out after only covering about 25% of the lot! This stuff just flows through like you would not believe. Like I said, it does work great, if you really can cut back your flow, or drive like a wild man while salting.

Rick was very pleasant to talk to and was confident he could deliver the salt.

14. GFX

GFX Member

And what was the cost to Milwaukee?

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

with the high cost, i dont think i want any thing that "flows" i want it to drip.....

16. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Milwaukee is $125 per ton.
    Rick
    ASI Management / SaltBin.com

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't need to worry about the muni's gobbling it up..............it won't meet anyones spec.

But hey, it's still salt right.

18. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

The price of the unloading the rail cars is included.
    Rick

19. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

We have plenty of salt.

We can get as many tons as you need, the only things is it takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive the salt via rail, but if you plan accordingly you will have salt for the entire winter.

As of right now we have over 2,000,000 ton mined.

Thanks
    Rick
    ASI Management

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

so much for the "salt shortage" they claimed about, some ppl are getting rich here, and its not me