1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Bin Tarp Door

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Rgory, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Rgory

Rgory Member

We have a salt shed that was built to house approximately 40 tons of salt. When built it featured a canvasish tarp which slid along a top rail to act as a door. 10+ years later and the tarp is fraying and isnt quite holding up to the challenge. Any suggestions on companies or sites where a replacement tarp can be found.

What is everyone else using?

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

We built sliding barn doors, 2X6 and metal sheeting. They work great keeping the weather out but are heavy to push. Found an old industrial garage door opener and had a friend wire it up to a chain pull. Works awesome... almost professional, if the power goes out there is a manual setting with the chain pull.wesport
    [​IMG]

Salt shed opener 001.jpg

Salt shed opener 002.jpg

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You've got to love those live bottom trucks.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

No mess, no fuss. I hated the old dump and move. Had a couple of drivers dump it too close to the doors when I wasn't there and had to move some to the side to break thru the pile.:realmad: I think they did it on purpose.

5. Rgory

Rgory Member

That is a pretty slick set-up. I doubt we are going to do anything that nice just trying to keep the weather out, have it last, and be easy to open.