1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt bin sizing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RLM, Feb 18, 2009.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Without talking tonage or yards (were all different size co.'s), How many runs can you make from your bin when full ? reserves, etc. I ask with all the talk of shortages, etc. I'm trying to decide how much bigger of a bin to build.
    Our current bin when empty will accomadate a full flowboy load, with very little room to spare for reserve (probably enough for 3 runs). When I built it there weren't shortages, & I figured it was the min needed, could be filled as needed. We have it filled 2-3 times a season.
    I don't know whether to rip it down & go larger (much) to accomadate growth (about $ 9000, or just build a second one next to it & rotate stock (about $ 1500), & hope we don't ever get shorages (pay attention to supply chain). I also don't know how well a coverall will hold up here, so if I spend the big $$$ it could all be for nothing if by the time we need the larger bin the coveral is trashed & needs to be replaced.
    Just looking for imput as far as how much (percentage of seasonal use) people keep on hand (# of runs, etc), tonage is really irrelvent.
    Also we are looking at adding liquids to the program, which will also reduce need.
  2. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

My bin will hold about 170 tons if I could ever get it full. I went through my allotment from Cargill (400 tons) by early Jan when they cut everyone off. I've since found more salt but I would say bigger is better and I don't the shortages going away anytime soon. We've been using salt for over 20 years and have been cut off only 3 times. All in the past 6 years and the past 2 years.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We typically have enough for 4 storms in our bin-only because we dont have the room at our shop for a bigger one. I keep another pile under tarp not too far and fill our bin up when needed. If i had the room there I would have made it big enough to hold enough for 15-20 applications, just to be safe in case of a shortage.
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

Find an old AOS Smith Slurrystore that is no longer being used for manure and store all the salt you want by adding a ring or two for height- thier are a lot dairies that are no longer operating that have them-you have to decide if you want to put a good roof over it but it will be easy as the roof posts connected to the trusses can be anchored by the concrete floor.

Filling and removing salt can be accomplished by a small bulk vacuum transport system. Be advised that you should not take any parts of it apart to operate machinery in it as the structural support will no longer be adequate.
  5. moparornocar

moparornocar Junior Member
    from Ohio

the only problem with that is the slurry store is steel and it will rust have seen it done. the other choice could be one of those hoop buildings, some of the dot garages arround have them and you can dump a semi trailer in them for the price of a small building
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Were do you live that a cover-all wont hold up ? I could see if your on top of Mt. Washington, or right on the Florida coast, but other then those VERY extreme areas, high winds wont take down a properly installed one. They sell the parts to make them very durable, and for the money I would give them a real good look. There all over the Plain's states. They get constant wind and fierce summer storms. Usually the failures are do to Mickey Mouse installs, and they cheaped out on the proper rafter spacing, purlins, ties, and anchors. Not saying there for everyone, but when properly erected, high winds are not going to destroy them. Indiana Toll road built some beauty's on US 90. They see pretty good sustained winds out there, and they get hammered with Lake effect snows every winter.
    I also believe there not considered permanent, so when the tax man comes knocking, your property value did not just go up 60K.

As for storage capacity, I keep a reserve for 4 events. And usually have enough on hand for 4-8 events. Right now I have enough for 6 more full salts.