1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt bin size...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How big of an area would you think 30tons of salt would take up? When I did bulk salt a couple years ago we had 40 tons on the ground but I cant remember how big of an area it took up. I'm thinking a 10ft wide x 20ft long and 3-4 mafia blocks high would be big enough.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My bin is 12' x 20' x 5' high, I can take a flowboy load (33-37 ton) @ a time with VERY little in reserve, the ile is usally 6-7' in the center & 3-4 at the walls. The mafia block are the way to go, I made the mistake of setting 6x6 posts (about 4' centers) & using 2x6's for walls, they've moved some not too bad though. Problem is now as I'm waiting on contracts on about 50 acres worth of salting, I'll burn through that bin in 2-3 trips. I'm not comfortable with that little stock on hand. I can't easily reconfigure the materials used. If I had used mafia block I could restack them. Like you said though, untill contracts come in you don't know what you'll need & every one is comfortable at different levels of reserve as well personally I prefer to have capacity for least 10 runs on hand. I have some clients that only call for salt once in a while, that & a ice storm can burn through extra salt quick, good luck restocking at that point.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You won't need much more than what you thought. Doing the math...

20'L x 10'W =200 sq ft
    x 6' H (3 blocks) = 1200 cu ft
    1200 / 27 (cu ft/cu yard) = 44.44 cubic yards capacity (assuming you go full height for the entire length of the bin)

30 tons x 2000 (lb/ton) = 60000 lbs
    60000 / 2160 (lbs per yard--std) = 27.78 cu yards

NOW, for the "cheater's" quick math (keep these handy, they are great little time savers I discovered)

If you know tons, but need to know yards: Divide the tons (30, in this case) by 1.08 (30 / 1.08 = 27.78)

If you know yards, but need tons: Multiply the yards by (OMG, the same number, really?) 1.08 (27.78 x 1.08 = 30.0024)

This assumes, of course, standard salt weight for dry coarse product--but it's great way to estimate storage needs.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

BTW, what is a Flowboy, and how the heck does it haul 74,000lbs of product?!?

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys can run REALLLLYYYYY Heavy in NY, one trucker told me, whether true I can't say, but he said with permits he could legally run 110,000.
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict