1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt bin question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I want to build a salt bin in the back yard how big will it have to be to hold 3 or 4 tons of salt? I am going to be using 4 x 8 sheets of 3/4" plywood because i have a lot of it laying around. i perfer to go only 4 feet hight so how wide and how deep to i have to go?? thanks
  2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Cubic Yards

I don't know the exact weight of salt per cubic yard but I think This is fairly close, If you don't hear from an expert this is a place to start.
    Just yesterday I was cleaning the garage and handled a couple 5 gallon buckets of clean sand and a couple more of salt, The salt buckets were about as heavy as the sand, Sand weighs about #3000 per cubic yard. Based on these numbers 4 ton of salt is 2.6 cubic yards. A bin 4X4X5 foot is 2.96 cubic yards.
    Length X width X height (measured in feet) divide by 27 (to convert to cubic yards) to give total cubic yards.