1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Bin Progress Pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mullis56, Nov 9, 2010.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Here are some pictures of our new salt bin we are putting in. It is a 30' x 60' x 25' with the mafia blocks. We are adding this bin to have another location to service our customers as it is almost 15 miles from our main shop.

Grading out asphalt millings for the base prior to rolling out almost 90 tons on asphalt binder.
    [​IMG]

Rolling out the graded millings.
    [​IMG]

1st layer of asphalt laid out waiting for more to come in.
    [​IMG]

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

More pics...

laying out the mafia blocks and getting everything squared up:
    [​IMG]

It's a family affair my 3 year son finishing the rolling out of the asphalt with on my 64 year old dad's lap:
    [​IMG]

Setting up the trusses:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few more days we will be wrapped up with this project, and a Clear Span white in color will be on top of the 30' x 60' x 25' tall (with mafia blocks) bin will be ready for salt! Needs to get done because the guys have lots to do prior to snow coming in...it's almost here!

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Very nice salt bin. I am planning the project of making a salt bin in the next week here. I only need to contain about 80 yards at a time though, so it will be much smaller.

How much were you paying per block delivered would you figure?

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Collin - Thanks for your kind comments. We picked up the blocks and hauled ourselves with flat bed trailer.

Here is the funny story we purchased another 48 blocks not used on the salt bin at the same time for a good friend who grinds mulch we use, haul and sell, plus they have a retail outlet too that has grown so they needed some. In addition to that we used 20 blocks to line the lot at this location so no one can get in via vehicle the lot without going through our gate. Plus another 15 blocks that we ended up selling and placing for a buy here, pay here car lot that saw us working at this location!

Bottom line before all of the extras that are mentioned above we had negotiated a deal for $15/each on the 6' x 2' x 2' blocks from one of our local IMI plants and this was for 67 blocks (I believe). Plus we had to get some 6' x 2' x 2' double grove (corner blocks) and some 4' x 2' x 2' double grove (corner blocks) and the IMI doesn't make them. This allows us not to have overlap and to make clean corners without cutting blocks up. These were $25/each for the 6' and $20/each for the 4', and I think we got around approx 25 of these all in all.

Sorry for the small pictures, dang photobucket not sure how to make them bigger or re-size?