1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt bin pictures

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bterry, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Built this yesterday.

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

DSC_0469.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

The plow crew: Sterling, John, Tony, Me, Kevin, John, Dylan

3. Nice work! How much do you think it will hold?

4. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Looks good. Not bad for a days work.

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

In that 1st pic. you weren't using that broad set-up to grade the black top were you?? LOL

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

OSHA would not like to see that picture of the guys standing on the cab protector of that truck ........
    Be Careful what you guys post ....There is no lying about what they saw.....

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

It will barley hold 1 semi (20 tons). Plus the asphalt is going to get beat to sh*t. you will be replacing it every season.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have had our salt bin in our parking lot for the last 3 years and the asphalt still looks good

9. bterry

bterry Senior Member

BS on all three accounts.
    1. You're wrong. It'll hold 30, and you spelled barely wrong.
    2. From what - my little dump, my skid steer, the salt, or the tri-alxle that'll come 2 or 3 times a year?
    3. Ha, whatever.
    The delivery on your constructive criticism is crappy - stay off my posts until you work on that some. Thanks.

Thanks to the other guys. Rich, I agree with you - but that was a lot safer than the ladders I planned to use. I was hoping this thread wouldn't turn in to a safety thread... you really would have hated the skid steer pics. LOL. Mackman, that wasn't the plan at first, it was meant to just be a guage - but it ended up working pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  10. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Looks great, I like the concrete dividers, how much did they cost if I may ask?
    I have been wanting to put together several bins for years, I have seen these used many of times as opposed to the Mafia blocks
    Great job

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Looks like a fun little project (you obviously celebrated at the end of the day)...I'm sure it will work just fine 4 you, nevermind the humbugs.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very nice work.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. You might want to rig up a tarp door of some sort if you aren't going to be using alot of salt every storm.:drinkup:

14. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Looks good salt bin will work just fine our bin is built the same way with asphalt and been using it for 7 years no problem. Now we will know who to go after if OSHA pays you a visit there always has to be trouble maker in this industry and he is probably the most unsafe of us all! :drinkup:

15. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

god i love this site. sorry ..... IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!

16. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Upon futher consideration of newlookslandscapes first post; I did some more accurate calculations on what this thing will hold, and calculated 26.7 cubic yards to the front edge of the roof, using a 45^ angle of repose and a flat top of pile. I'll recind my comment on capacity of 30 tons, and give that one to him. sorry..... Either way it'll be decent for me.

The barriers were $100 bucks a piece, but that's a killer deal on some blems from the precast company. They can be had all beat up for that price, but new ones normally go for $700 around here.

I'm definately going to need to tarp the front. The guy who normally drives the salt truck is worried the tarp be a pain - he's probably right, but I'll try to come up with something that hopefully won't be too bad.

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The guys building it are "all friends" no workers :) You should know that cos they were having some coldy after the project :salute:

18. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

what about just putting some barn doors on it?

19. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

20. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good. For the door just use a heavy duty tarp. nail a board to the bottom and attach to a rope and pully sytem and make the tarp roll up to the top. Not to hard.