1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt bin pics needed

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jlouki01, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I need some ideas for a small salt bin.. 40-100 ton.

Was considering using the concrete blocks like most.. but what are you guys using for a floor if anything?

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Check my profile pics for one of ours which will hold 120 or so..

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Concrete Floor

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

just a fwiw....concrete floor won't last long..at least our pad didn't ...now we have them asphalted
    steve

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we used concrete for ours, seems to be lasting quite well, we did have it done in early spring the year before we used it, so it sat for 6 months first....

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

weird...even our blocks are starting to deteriorate

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

got some pix on my profile....we have an asphalt floor. each bin could hold 250 ton

8. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

did you guys use anything to to seal the concrete in your bins, if not that is why they are deteriorating. also the bin we have is sitting on a concrete pad and the inside dimensions of the bin is roughly 14 X 20 X 12

9. john m stauffer

john m stauffer Member

I think you should do what we do. We use semi truck containers. you have to put the salt in the container with a skid steer but when you close the doors there is no way for it to get wet or wash away.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

how much can you fit in a container like that? also... rough cost of one of those?

11. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

How well does it hold up to the salt?? Seems like it would rust out???

12. john m stauffer

john m stauffer Member

We use them for topsoil in the summer and salt in the winter and we put 3 6 axle dump truck loads in there (65 yards) or about 100 tons (97.5). We are renting them for $100 a month or you can buy them for about $2000 we just wash them out really good and we haven't had a problem.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That must be some really fine salt you are getting. That's like a ton and a half per yard. Is it wet too?

14. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

concrete floor no problems

15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I used 4" compacted asphalt for the floor and wood walls and roof. Looks as good as it did 15 years ago. Tried overhead doors but the salt ate the cables and springs. Replaced those doors with sliding doors and hardware.

16. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

where can I get one of those, or who do I contact? I am in central Iowa. Thanks.

17. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

How do you stack it on the inside of the container? do you have to shovel it in to get it stacked high in there I know the skidsteer can't pick up and dump in there. Let me know I might go this route this year.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

SS shouldn't have much trouble pushing it up nice and high.

19. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

i'd get claustrophobic in there, not even quite sure my machine would fit in there. We are using the standard maffia block setup with an asphalt floor, bought 2 shelter logic covers to mount on top of the blocks to keep out the elements

20. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

We use the container bin also. Our 863 Skid Steer fits by 2 inchs. Stacking is actually pretty simple. I've got an old BEAT meyer I put in the bucket and chain it, and plow it up there (since the lift arm's are higher than the bucket, you'd hit the roof) I haven't had to use this method but maybe twice. Its all aluminum, and has VERY hard wood sides about 2 feet up, then plywood for another 4 feet. Built an asphalt ramp for it, seal the sh!t out of it, and your good to go! Started rigging up some extra lights that are wired to a big diesel battery. Look out in the summer, the bee's over take it without your input... :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009