1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt bin froze so i sprayed it with calcium....pic's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by powerjoke, Jan 21, 2008.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

today i went to get ready to load trucks and the bin was frozen solid (about 10") so i busted it with the loader and then put about 40gal of calcium chloride on it.......and 30 min later ..........VOILA i had usable salt with that was back to crushed size:D

is there anything this stuff cant do? i am thinking about calling it MAJIC.........o.h. wait that name is taken;)

so i pre-loaded the trucks and just for extra insurance i sprayed about 10gal on top of the spreader so we'll see about 4:30am if it kept it from freezing

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's good to know. I'm surprised it worked so quick, I hate when the pile goes hard like that. Generally I just spread it out and drive over it. I wish I had a Dakota floater!:cry:

3. powerjoke

sell ya one :D

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I guess I could expense the trip out there to see you then. Hmmn Dodges usually sell by the pound don't they!:D

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

O no Rick

You sprayed it in the truck already??

From what I under stand you have about a hour to unload it of it will harden to a block

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

nice fix

good luck out there in the morning

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Doh!.............

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's hard to tell when Clappers being serious!!:confused:

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

No joke !!!

I'm dead Serious !!!

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I Know that it will work for a little bit but when it hardens up after put calcium on it it turns into unbreakable chunks so Ron is on the right track too.

11. powerjoke

I went out this morning at 4 am and it was in the low teen's * and all the salt in the v-box flowed perfectly and came back after another load and the salt in the bin was'nt hard either

i am so glad to be able to say you guys were wrong(don't take it the wrong way) but this way i don't have t dynamite my salt bin :D

12. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

LOL Rick, Maybe its cause you kept it in the heated shop?

13. powerjoke

yeah....maybe. it's really hard to say one way or another LOL

how did i get the salt bin in the shop again:confused:

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I'm not sure how did you :D

15. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Its been real cold here in mn and the last semi load of salt i got was damp so needless to say at -15 this morining I had concrete in my bin ram scoop and spread out and drive over jump on top of the screen and jump up and down like a monkey at 4am what else could be this much fun

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What are you guys talking about, heat does nothing for thawing out salt. Just ask 92XT or whatever his troll name is. :dizzy: