1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Mowtivated Lawn, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Mowtivated Lawn

Mowtivated Lawn Junior Member
    from Toledo

Looking for advice for the 09-10 snow season. Trying to lock up some commercial accounts for next year but have little experience with bidding commercial plowing and salting. I have heard that what you charge for the plow is what you can charge for the salt, is this correct? Or should I just get the square footage and apply 17-20 pounds per 1000 sqft? Do you agree with setting and does that sound okay with just a couple cubic foot spreader on the back of my truck? I have also heard the rate around here is around 100 to 125 per hour, and a buddy gets 75 an hour from a contractor with him using his equipment. Any advice is much appreciated.
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i bill out by the ton and no, salting is totally seperate rate and rate set up from plowing. i salt a 1,600,000 SF lot with 9 tons of salt, so 1 lb to every 90 SF, roughly.
  3. Mowtivated Lawn

from Toledo

So basically plowing =$ and then you tell them for salting=$, the problem I am worried about is by next year if the price increases and you are in a contract, do you include that if price hike you can adjust your salt rate or are you just sol! Thanks new to the game! lol
  4. Mowtivated Lawn

from Toledo

Sorry should have said I am no where near doing a 1.6 mil sqft lot so I will only be using small amounts of salt probably by the fifty pound bags. Read somewhere else to charge 15 bucks for on $5 dollar bag which would include labor and material cost. Sounds not to bad I am thinking. Thanks
  5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Mowtivated, you are on with the 17-20 pounds per 1,000 square foot. For bags of salt $12-$15 per bag is about right too. As for plowing I have a very simple formula I don't mind sharing. Square footage X .003. So a 50,000 square foot lot would be $150.00. Now that is a baseline, if a lot is further away or a PIA with a bunch of islands and curves and stuff I might charge .004, or ,005.

As for salting, I figure 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet and I charge cost plus $250 per ton for bulk. If I can get salt for $75 per ton I will spread it at $325, if I get it for $140 per ton its gonna be $390.

I measure lots on google earth and then I have a real nice excel spread sheet where all I have to do is enter the square footage and linear feet of walks and it gives me a price to plow, how much salt I will use, a price on salt, price for sidewalks, total price, and annual price if they want an annual contract. Once again, its a baseline and I am flexible with prices.

And remember, prices are regional, these numbers could be real low or real high in your area.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Mowtivated, I am just down the road in Findlay. I just flat charge my salt at 18.00 per bag. This number includes all charges associated with the salt. (picking up, storing, loading spreader, and spreading) I haven't had one customer complain at this price all year. They have all complained about the bills being high, but Jan. was a rough month for everyone. Feb billings have been almost non-existant, so it will all even out for them.