1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt before snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elitelandscape, Oct 30, 2002.

1. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Hey i was wondering does anyone on here salt like walkways and stuff like that before a snow storm so the snow will melt when it hits the side walk area.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, that's the best way to prevent a buildup of packed snow. You will also use less material than if you wait and try to burn off snowpack after the fact.

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

One of the challenges to pre-salting is the perception on the part of the customer that you are charging them for material that they don't yet need. On per pound, per ton, or per occurrence pricing structures the customer has difficulty comprehending the (proven) benefits of this practice.

However..... if you're charging a seasonal flat amount and deicing is included.... it's the ONLY way to go. Studies by DOT's all over the USA have proven that you can save as much as 30% in material costs for the season (as long as you apply the material properly and at the correct times).

Long winded answer to your question.....

Short Version..... yes, we do... and yes, it works.

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i started doing that last year when i got the salter, no one else in my area does it, and yes it does work.
    dan

5. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

thanks

Thanks for your info guys

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, we have been doing it for several years for the same reasons John stated. So far no problems with our customers, but I don't think we have applied and it hasn't snowed, yet.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

your crazy not to.

Geoff