1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt availability and rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NormKBS, Jun 17, 2014.

1. NormKBS

NormKBS Junior Member
    from PA

Any early predictions on rock salt availability this upcoming season as well as rates. Last winter was tough everywhere with the local and state governments commandeering all the salt inventories due to their short comings on ordering and stock piling.

2. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Don't know but I buy bagged and I'm thinking about ordering it now.
    Still no guarantee I'll have it before the next flake flies... hopefully it's not $100/bag.
    I'm actually looking on this list for what others are saying... buy now or what.
    The last pallet I got was about $5.25/bag for salt. I saw guys selling it for $10-$15.
    I still have some left... I hope I can still use it.
    I remember seeing guys say they could get bulk in the port of Wilm. Didn't help me - no place to store it, load it, etc.
    I am thinking about going with something else other than straight salt, just not sure what.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Straight rock salt? Holy **** that's expensive for our area. The most we ever paid was 200 a pallet last season

4. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

What's your location? Maryland? what part?
    Here it's the cheapest - and that was the pallet pricing.
    Other sorts of melting products were a few $ more than salt.
    If you have other melts cheaper than $4/bag I'll travel.

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Call port of Baltimore they have a list.

I can't remember how much we paid for mag but I can find out. I want to say $350 a pallet when "no one had any"

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah I read that this morning. Idk man

8. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Yep, same thing I read. I've read other articles that said they just don't have enough trucks and will take a few years to build up local supplies.
    I was just wondering if there was anything magical to storage for "X" product, what people are getting, or does it normally cost more because you are buying out of season (kinda like produce/food).
    Yet with the OP's question, if you can't get it you can't get it.
    I started out selling a few bags to clients because they couldn't find it at their local Home Depot/Lowes... then once my supply dried up I stopped that real quick.

Whiffyspark - $350/pallet is about $7.30/bag. What did you cut it with?
    I found my last invoice:
    $259.15 for 50# bags is $5.29/bag. 49 bags
    Like I said, salt was cheaper and seemed to work fine once I got past the first 6 PITA bags. (clumpy, non-flowing crap)

9. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Ill be doing some paving at one of our areas big distribution sites. I was told anywhere from $120 ton for treated rock salt is where it will be to start the season.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

350 wAs mag. We don't cut either. Straight rock salt for pavement straight mag for wAlks

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Bought a pallet of rock salt today. Price with tax $506.42 for 49 bags or $10.34 a bag. I have been looking since June 1st. Not pleased with price.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Damn, that's crazy!

13. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Wow O Wow.............

14. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Seriously? Hope you got to use some Vaseline. Geez.

15. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

im paying 6.25 a bag for rock salt
    9.50 a bag for ice melt
    and 80 a ton for bulk rock salt