1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt application

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fastxcr800, Nov 10, 2014.

1. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

How much salt does everyone figure per sq ft? Any more or less per application for bagged vs bulk?

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

800lbs+- per acre

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I have a prewet system set up on my truck. Treat salt with liq mag chloride as it goes down, so in my area with our temps and weather, I use about 400-500lbs per acre with good results.

4. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

I haven't seen any prewet systems in my area with the exeption of muni crews. what are the benefits?

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I usually use about a half yard (1,000 lbs) per acre.

6. derekslawncare

The benefits are less product needed to get the same level of melting and depending on what you use to prewet, it also works to colder temps. Straight salt active down to about 18 deg. My prewet keeps my salt active down to about 5 deg.

7. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

Is it a expensive set-up or complicated to use?

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

do you have a picture of how you have it setup to pre treat before it drops?

9. derekslawncare

I'm getting ready to leave the house to go out for leaf cleanup. If you would like to give me your name/#, I would be happy to call you when I get home this afternoon. No pictures at this time, but was simple to set up. Built the system in a weekend.

10. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

we have 3 prewet systems and use liq. cal. they are simple cheap systems. takes about 6 hrs. to make. we are 20 mins. east of you right off rt. 22 by about mile. if you want to see them pm me.

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a question about the prewet system. How much savings are you really seeing? Yes you're using less salt but what about the cost of not only building the system but also the liquid additives as well?

12. derekslawncare

Not ONLY does it cut my salt usage in half, but it also makes the salt usable down to much colder temps. So yeah it cost me to build the system most of which I would have built anyway because I wanted to go to liquids on my commercial walks and residential driveways, but when the temps are to cold for salt to work alone and everyone else is switching to more expensive products in their spreaders, I'm still laying down salt. It also is a GREAT statement to be able to make to your customer that you are putting less product down on their property and into the environment. When the temps are 25 or above, I put straight salt down so I'm not using the more costly liquid, unlike everyone who uses treated salt and their whole pile is treated, so they don't have the option not to. All in all, it makes the most sense, imo.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Pete, its not that expensive to build a pre treat system. I think our 35 gallon tank was maybe 75 bucks (TSC) and Shur flo pump was around 140ish and the hose, nozzle and tips were another 20 bucks maybe, oh and the wood for the platform was another 20 bucks or so and about 4-6 hours to put it all together. I just use the liquid we use in our liquid system, I dont use straight Calcium like derek does. It does help speed up the melting process and we do use less salt but not half by any means.

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So when you're using the treated salt(pre wetting), how low temps can you take the salt down to still being effective?

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I just can't see how paying for the liquid, the system and then the storage of the more expensive liquid is cost effective. It seems like a wash for the first several years but perhaps over time it would turn to your favor. Definitely going to have to look into this a lot further. These days if you can save a buck you have to take advantage.

16. derekslawncare

To clarify, I don't use calcium, when I started using liquids 2 years ago, I found a product called Icenator online which is a liquid magnesium chloride. It is purchased and shipped to me in 275 gal totes. The first order I got, I just mounted the tote on my truck in front of my v-box, I have an 8x12 flatbed that my spray rig (275 gal tote, 200' hose reel, 2 elec pumps and the ball valves to open/close different sections of the system as well as control flow) is permanently mounted on. So there isn't any storage, I order 2 totes at beginning of season, use first to fill tote on truck and second to refill from throughout the season. I will say the Icenator is pricey and I am looking at using something different this season. As stated earlier, the main reason I started using liquids was because I had a commercial account that complained about the residue from salt being tracked into the building. So the main reason for my setup was for treating walks, but since I had it setup, I plumbed a prewet system into it as well. And again, it doesn't just cut my salt usage by 50%, but makes the salt usable down to about +5 deg.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  17. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

600lbs per acre. It's plenty.