1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Application

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MSplowing, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

I'm new to the salting side of the snow removal, im trying to figure out how much salt is usually put down in a square foot? I have a lot that is approximately 300' by 200' and im not sure how much salt i need to put down temperature is right around 20 to 25 and about a quarter to half inch of ice. All the help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to search it and couldnt pull anything up.

2. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

600 to 800 lbs per acre. An acre is 43,560 sq ft. Hope this helps.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

60k sq ft
    20lbs per 1k = 1200 lbs (adjust as needed)
    or 800 lbs per acre x 1.5 acres as mentioned above
    More or less depending on temp, ice or snow, quality of
    salt, forecast, etc

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good advice

We offer a snow and ice management bidding package that has a lot of this type of information included as well as rates for alternate ice melters. The package includes a comprehensive printed manual, a snow template CD with service agreements, proposals, advertising and many more, and it also includes a quick estimator that calculates plowing time and material.

Call if you have any questions 800-845-0499 or visit our website.

Good luck.