1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt application rates

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snikpm, Sep 17, 2009.

1. snikpm

snikpm Junior Member
    from mass

I saw this on an old thread but cant locate it now. What is the formula or appx rate of straight salt per 1k of asphalt. I know this is subjective and really is calculated by type / size or dry or slightly wet, temperature, etc etc. I just need to verify my benchmark of 25 lbs per 1,000 sq ft.

Same question for walkway calcium / ice melt

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

SIMA says 50lbs per 750Sq Ft

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow do they really?

1000lbs per acre ends up being around 22-23lbs per K which sounds like a much better number.

4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I was going to post it... But I change my mind.

Its not fair to the paying members of SIMA

But if you Join SIMA now, you will get $50.00 off your membership and please remember to tell them that I sent you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats what i use for bidding

6. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Do you guys actually go out to a property and meaure it to figure out the the square footage or is it it a guesstimate? I only ask because i am always off on my estimates when figuring how much sand/salt im going to use and it is usually to my disadvantage. I gave a guy a price yesterday to spread straight salt on a lot that that would take about 45 minutes to plow with one 8fter. Does anyone think i was way to high? the guy looked at me like i had 3 heads. lol

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What did you give him for a price?

8. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

$250 per app.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Thats is quite a bit.

10. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

SIMA does not say the application rate is 50lbs per 750 square feet!!! I think CLAPPER misread it.
    SIMA says 50 lbs per 750 sq for ICE MELT, not salt.
    SIMA says there is NO set standard for rate of application for salting parking lots.

I just spent $130.00 to join. I hope to find more specific answers to questions that I have to justify spending the money.

PLOWSITE has been very helpful !!!

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yes that is to high.

I would cut that in half.

12. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yes I did miss read it, I was tried and late the other night when I looked at it..... I belive I retracted my stament somewhere after I said that lol.

SIMA has helped dont alot of us.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Actually I'm thankful many don't measure, and I hope they keep it up. It explains why prospects receive bids with huge variances. It is frustrating when I find out that a competitor gets a site because he is 1/2 or 1/3 our price, mainly because they are ruining the market by devaluing the work. However it's comforting to know they are losing money and don't even realize it!

Doesn't matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, one cannot look at a site and come up with the correct square footage. You can come relatively close......but when bidding against others who also know their stuff that can mean the difference of being too high to get the job, or leaving too much on the table.

If you really want to hone in on your chemical use, plowing and sidewalk times measure it and know your constants.

14. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Here's a pretty helpful tool.. Google Earth has a measurement tool that is extremely accurate. Lets you sit on your butt and measure 5 acres rather than running across a lot with a measuring wheel. Download it and try it, it's free.

15. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, every one of them! I'd have thought you had 3 heads too if you gave me a price for salt without measuring... ;)

Amen bro! :gunsfiring: