1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt and sanding walks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowem, Dec 6, 2007.

1. plowem

plowem Junior Member
    from Maine

Anyone got a good cheap/effective method for spreading sand onto walkways and stairs? I mostly just shovel it where its needed. I have a spreader but I feel like it gets in the way more then it helps.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wear good gloves....carry a pail with ice melt in it and throw it out of the pail. Walk behind spreader gives an even coat tho.

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

With sand, I fill a flat shovel, hold it at my chest, and kind of flick the sand off with my hand.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The hand and pail method works best for stairs and small walks.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's exactly what I do for steps. And for sidewalks I use a walk behind spreader that has guards on it so that the salt only goes on the walk and not on the grass.

6. packey

packey Member

I have ben useing a drop spreader so that I can control where my product is going.