1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt And Sand.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by niederhauser la, Mar 30, 2005.

1. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Hey guys, I have been plowing snow for a number of years now and I have never offered sand or ice melt. The only ice melt I have put down has been minimal and I did it by had. Next year I want to get a V-Box or something and offer ice melt. My question is- how do you bid it? Say if you charge $100 a push for a parking lot. What would you charge for salt or sand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Charge by the hudred weight. That way it can fluctuate with each plow event based on need.You can guestimate the amounts pretty well after a few weigh ups if you use bulk salt which is the only way to go.Make sure you charge enough from the beginning because it looks bad to try for an increase later.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What I did was charge $xxx.xx for UP TO Y amount of material (counting on what it would need for the worst case scenerio, in my case, charged $200.00 for up to a yard of salt). (Salt with taxes for me was $88.50/yard).

That way, for nights when you need less, you actually make more on the job b/c you use less and make the same money. If I only spread half a yard to do the job it cost my $44.25, I still made the $200....

I never used more than a yard on the job, so it worked out in my favor all season.

4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I estimate about 1000 pounds of rock salt per acre.. Depending on how much crap you're trying to melt..

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Steve

Did you ever actually use a thousand pounds on 1 acre ? Seems pretty high, I guess for an ice storm or burning off 2 + inches of snow. I think the Salt institute http://www.saltinstitute.org/ recomends about 400# an acre. Seems like real world is around 600# though. If the temps are lower then you need more obviously but for an average seems a lil high. If your applying that rate all the time then take a look at the link I posted, it will give you an education on salt, and maybe put some more cash in your pocket by useing less.

Todd