1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt and Sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AGW, Dec 24, 2011.

1. AGW

AGW Junior Member

Anyone near Auburn MA. Some times I need to get sand and salt mix in a pinch for my accounts. Any one know where to buy it near Auburn MA?

2. leon

leon Senior Member

salting sand

Depending on your tonnage desired-

You may well be better off mixing it yourself
    and packing it in buckets with a bit of windshield
    washer fluid to keep it flowing.

BUT-I would check with the local gravel pits first to find
    out if they are stocking it in bulk and if not, they would be
    able to tell you who is selling it.

the highway departments rough mix their own typically

The Morton salting sand product is blended as it is packed
    in buckets.

3. hosejockey4506

hosejockey4506 Senior Member

the problem with getting it from the pits in bulk in the winter is the frozen chunks, i generally store 10 or so yards indoors along with our bulk salt just incase we need it.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

True, very true, thats why I say its better to bucket it all and throw in some Windshield Washer Fluid or alcohol.

5. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

We don't have sand, but we always have treated salt; we are in worcester off rt 20

6. AGW

AGW Junior Member

Where on rte 20?

7. Why use a product that is bad for everything. Why not use a treated salt that will work much better then any sand. Even if they want it for traction, are they going to be happy with the clean up of the lots and the sewers, also if the town or city knows that you use sand the city might make you pay to have the sewers vaced out.

8. AGW

AGW Junior Member

Where do I get it?

9. Get what. You can treat your salt for under 8 bucks a ton with what we use.

10. AGW

AGW Junior Member

I have my bins all done but sometimes I need and extra yard so instead of going back to shop is there any who has it near mill bury st in auburn?

11. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

theres worcester county yardwaste on southbridge by hammond st directly across from gallo's salt pile. he has salt sand mix available. or theres worcester sand and gravel in shrewsbury. kage is by the millbury worc line by sunderland road off of rt20. couple other spots ill add later.

12. AGW

AGW Junior Member

Thank you.

13. Get what. You can treat your salt for under 8 bucks a ton with what we use.

14. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

what do you use?

15. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

You would turn off rt. 20 onto Westborough Street by Chuck-E-Cheese. The address is Technically 109 Creeper Hill Road in North Grafton (part of our yard is in Worcester). We have a scale and try to keep 750 tons stocked. You can call 774-244-0106 or email thesnowman@thenaturallandscape.com for more info.

16. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I'm actually related to Paul at Worcester County. He has a two yard minimum so beware if you have a smaller sander. I buy all my bulk from Bond Sand & Gravel in Spencer on Rt.31.

17. Pm me and I will give you my cell I don't like to tell what I use on the net.