1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt and sand purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by n y snow pros, Aug 13, 2000.

1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Just curious as to those of you who buy salt in bulk,when do you purchase your supply of materials and how much do you buy? How many of you use straight salt and why?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have packaged my bag salt, up to the mulch plant this weekend.

2. I got my bulk salt last week so i could bag up 8 yards of it this weekend. My supplier a large contractor, told me he could deliever salt to me any day of the week mon - fri, same day i call. He also delievers all my salt and sand mix. This is the first year i won't be picking it up at his yard. Anyways i got 1 60 yard tri axel of salt, this past week, i plan on having 120 yards of salt sand mix delivered in october.

Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff thats a large triaxel that will hold 60yards

4. GeoffD

Dino, it is 50 or 60, not sure would have to check the invoice. I know its one big truck load. It wasn\'t a dump truck, it was a trailer pulled behind a tractor. I guess you could look at it as a 50 or 60 yard dump trailer.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 08-14-2000 at 02:36 AM]

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff, that's something like 45 tons plus, are you sure on that quantity? I don't see how they can haul upwards of 90,000 lbs of net weight. What is salt costing over there, are you buying by the ton or by the yard?

6. GeoffD

Ok

I wasn't there when it was delivered. I gotta check with the yard guy to see how it got out there, meaning one or two trips. I told them to bring me out a tractor trialer load, of salt. Now that i have been thinking about this it is probably closer to 40 yards in a trailer. Maybe they had another truck come out with them. I gotta check the invoice, they may have only delivered 40 yards.

Geoff

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Sorry Geoff, most of us are just anal retentive about little things like that.
    Dino

8. GeoffD

Its my fault. It is 40 yards by the way. I just called up my supplier and told him to bring me out a trailer load. I wasn't too worried, because i am only going to get billed for what i had delievered. I am not worried about my supplier taken me for a ride.

Geoff

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff, if you don't feel it's privileged information, what is your cost per yard? We're buying by the ton here and it's $60 at the depot.

10. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We buy our salt picked up at the docks for $65.00 per yard and our sand picked up at the quarry for $ 7.00 per yard and then we mix it on our own. We have only one six wheeler truck so we haul all day one day and then spend the next day mixing it. It only takes half a day to mix 50 yards. We only keep 50-75yards on hand at a time and when we start running low we just get more.Also who is the supplier or contact for the Magic-O?

11. GeoffD

Alan

Its right around 66.25 per yard, here in maine. I thought about mixing the sand and salt myself. The sand is around 4 or 5 dollars (depends on the quanity) a yard delivered. The thing is if i mix it i am mixing it with my loader, works ok. Only if i buy it mixed i can cutomize my mix, if the order is large enough, and i can get it mixed better. The guy screans the sand, and the same time he is running the salt though. It gets mixed a lot better then if i did it with my loader. I also am not stuck mixing it. I find 30/70 is a good mix, i think i will have one pile of 30/70, and another pile of 50/50.

Geoff

12. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

MAGIC SUPPLIER

Hey SLC1 your Magic-0 supplier is Dino or better known as Plowking35.He can give you pricing and all types of info on Magic both as a spray and sprayed on salt and bagged as he has all of them.

13. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

salt

my customers want salt only. no mess to clean up in spring. the only time we mix is when temp. goes too low for salt. my cost is about 60.00 per ton.

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Jim, add Magic to your salt and you can get the effective temperature to drop a lot lower