1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt and ? mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by goodlivin33, Aug 21, 2011.

1. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

last year i used some super melt dont know what it was but better melting potential than just salt. i was loading a tailgate salter so i would pour a bag of salt then a 1/3 bag of super melt so on and so on. has anyone figured out the most cost effective way to get a better bag for youre buck when it comes to salt....any advice would be appreciated

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Here's my two cents worth

We've been mixing products in the hopper for years on tailgate spreaders. The most profitable way that we have found to do it is this:

We did it your way at first. Bag first salt and mix 1/3 blended product.

Then we decided to try and buy straight mag or calcium and mix about 10 per volume with salt in the hopper. The best we could figure was that we were paying too much for a blended product when there was only about 7% of something other than sodium chloride in the bag. A 50 pound bag of straight mag or cal goes a long way when blending it with your bagged salt right in the spreader.

Hope that helps.

3. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

thanks that does help and make sense. have you then found if you can buy pure mag/cal from any direct distributors. and did you mix it then rebag it to keep the moisture out?

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

no rebagging

We simply carry both products in the truck and mix accordingly as needed during the event. If you have any questions, call me. I 'll be happy to explain in detail.