1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt and mark up

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lark905lark, Dec 2, 2009.

1. lark905lark

lark905lark Junior Member

what a good rule of thumb on marking up salt? i know what my cost is but how is the mark up usually done on this?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We don't mark up our salt, we sell it applied as a service, do you mean to sell to contractors during storms or do you mean to be the end user and apply for your clients? Once in a while we'll help out local guys who ran out and are waiting on orders, we add about $7 per ton to cover storage and loading(and it's still cheaper, by alot for them than our local supplier), if we were going to sell bulk we'd probably be tacking on $28-40 per ton. But we aren't in the materials biz.

3. lark905lark

to apply for my clients? im just trying to figure out what to charge so im not really low balling. i wasnt sure how to charge on salt applications.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Just like plow pricing, there's way too many variables... How much do you pay for it? How much does it cost you to spread it, replace spreaders, maintain/repair them, load salt, how much driving from the salt pile to the account, etc, etc, etc. Only you know how much you can charge and make money on it. There's no such thing as magic numbers. Small properties could go for $60 for 100lbs, whereas large properties could go for $100/ton. Typically the more salt applied, the less markup. Like others have said, you're selling a service, not a product.

5. lark905lark

ok, that makes sense. thanks very much for your help!