1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt and Cement

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Don't tell my landlord but there will be 44 tons of bulk rock salt in my ware house at any given time this winter :D Will dry rock salt hurt dry cement? I am thinking no, as long as it does not get wet just wanted to make sure.

Guess I could always paint the floors and walls :rolleyes:

Thank you,
    - Eric

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Yes it will harm it over time. I think it will harm anything around it and above it as well. It may come in dry but as you load it going in and out with trucks it will absorb water.
    Where will you and your 44 tons of salt go this winter when he evicts you?:D

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

it leaches out everywhere.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The fine salt dust is going to be everywhere. It will rust everything all over the shop. Everytime you open a door the breeze is going to let that salt float like dust. You might want to reconsider this.

5. Vaughn Schultz

You all have made some very good points:rolleyes:

6. Vaughn Schultz

Check it out:D I could put something like this in my shop and completely close it off

31169_z.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  7. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

That is the route we are going to try this year... we bought a 30 X 26 Commercial grade version of that. I'm hoping it will pay off as all we would pay for rent is 20 ton worth of salt. Even if it isn't a viable solution, it can always be used for other things as well, like a covered power wash bay.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200312931&R=200312931

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

salt will still leach out everwhere as the moiture in the air will spread it everwhere.Unless it is in a sealed container moisture will spread it around.

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Salt will actually pull moisture out of the air all on it's own. Think about a salt shaker on your table in the summer humidty and how it gets wet and sticky then cakes up when it dries. Check this thread out for some other ideas. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=454